Register to reply

Understanding generating sets for free groups.

by Monobrow
Tags: free, generating, groups, sets
Share this thread:
Monobrow
Jan12-13, 09:37 AM
P: 10
I was thinking about the following proposition that I think should be true, but I can't pove:

Suppose that F is a group freely generated by a set U and that F is also generated by a set V with |U| = |V|. Then F is also freely generated by V.

This is something that I intuitively think must be true when considering examples I have come across e.g( F_2 = <a,b> = <a,ab> with {a,b} and {a,ab} both free generating sets). Does anyone know if this is true?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
CompuChip
Jan14-13, 10:09 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
I guess if F is generated by V, then you can write any element of U as a word in V in one and only one way.
So you can easily translate the word u1u2...un by translating all the ui separately and stitching it back together. It feels like you are right that this should lead to a formal proof, though you may need to take care of some of the technicalities.
lavinia
Jan16-13, 05:59 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,716
note that if the numbr of generators is infinite then there are many generatin sets of the same cardinality but not all are free. Also a free set of elements of the same cardinality may not generate the whole group.

Register to reply