Group like operations that are not associative

In summary, a group can be defined by three properties: a set, an operation that is associative, an identity element exists, and every element has an inverse. The concept of an "almost-group" is introduced, where an operation fails the associativity test but meets the other two properties. The example of octonions is given as a possible almost-group. The discussion of coordinate transformations and their requirement to be associative is also mentioned. It is noted that while it may not be intuitively obvious, the associativity of coordinate transformations can be shown through function composition.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
A group can be defined by the following three properties. (Source: wikipedia)

In mathematics, a group is a set and an operation that combines any two elements of the set to produce a third element of the set, in such a way that the operation is associative, an identity element exists and every element has an inverse.

Is there any example of an operation that fails the associativity test, but meets the other two tests? I'll refer to this hypothetical entity as an almost-group for the purposes of this post lacking any knowledge of a better name. While my specific motivation is in Lie groups, an example of such an operation that is a finite almost-group but not associative would be helpful.

The motivating question is just how intuitively obvious is it that coordinate transformations must form a Lie group. Intuitively, it's obvious that the identity transformation must exist, and the requirement that coordinate transformations be invertible also seems intuitive, but it's less intuitive why a coordinate transformation absolutely must be associative. That said, I can't think of any counterexamples that are not associative. I have some vague intuitive ideas why a coordinate transformation should be associative, but they're a bit fuzzy and I couldn't express them well.

While the motivational idea is about Lie "almost-groups", a discreete version would also be helpful to guide my intuition.

Note: an answer at the A level is acceptable, but I'd prefer that it be kept to the I level if at all possible. If there is an A-level answer readily available and it'd be too much work to dumb it down to the I-level, it'd be better to have the A-level answer than none at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
A group can be defined by the following three properties. (Source: wikipedia)
Is there any example of an operation that fails the associativity test, but meets the other two tests? I'll refer to this hypothetical entity as an almost-group for the purposes of this post lacking any knowledge of a better name. While my specific motivation is in Lie groups, an example of such an operation that is a finite almost-group but not associative would be helpful.

The motivating question is just how intuitively obvious is it that coordinate transformations must form a Lie group. Intuitively, it's obvious that the identity transformation must exist, and the requirement that coordinate transformations be invertible also seems intuitive, but it's less intuitive why a coordinate transformation absolutely must be associative. That said, I can't think of any counterexamples that are not associative. I have some vague intuitive ideas why a coordinate transformation should be associative, but they're a bit fuzzy and I couldn't express them well.

While the motivational idea is about Lie "almost-groups", a discreete version would also be helpful to guide my intuition.

Note: an answer at the A level is acceptable, but I'd prefer that it be kept to the I level if at all possible. If there is an A-level answer readily available and it'd be too much work to dumb it down to the I-level, it'd be better to have the A-level answer than none at all.
Say hello to the octonions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octonion

Likes The Bill and topsquark
pervect said:
... but it's less intuitive why a coordinate transformation absolutely must be associative. That said, I can't think of any counterexamples that are not associative. I have some vague intuitive ideas why a coordinate transformation should be associative, but they're a bit fuzzy and I couldn't express them well.
For any coordinate transformation, the "multiplication" is function composition ##(f \circ g)(\textbf{x}) = f(g(\textbf{x}))##. The associative law ##(f \circ g) \circ h = f \circ (g \circ h) ## follows by just plugging in the definition.

Likes Stephen Tashi

1. What are group like operations?

Group like operations refer to mathematical operations that share similar properties, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What does it mean for operations to be not associative?

When operations are not associative, it means that the order in which the operations are performed affects the outcome. In other words, changing the grouping of the numbers being operated on will result in a different answer.

3. Can you give an example of non-associative operations?

One example of non-associative operations is subtraction. For instance, (8-4)-2 = 2, but 8-(4-2) = 6. The grouping of the numbers changes the result.

4. How do non-associative operations differ from associative operations?

In associative operations, changing the grouping of the numbers being operated on does not affect the final answer. For example, (5+3)+2 = 10, and 5+(3+2) = 10. The grouping does not change the result.

5. Why is it important to understand non-associative operations?

Understanding non-associative operations is important in mathematics because it helps us accurately solve equations and avoid errors. It also allows us to recognize patterns and relationships between different operations, which can be useful in more complex mathematical concepts.