Sum problem about closing form

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Sum
If so, then you can write it as\sum_{i=1}^n E[|y_i - \theta|]In summary, the conversation discusses rewriting the equation \sum_{i=1}^{n} |(y_i-\theta)|=n\theta in close form using the notation "itex" instead of "tex". The equation involves a fixed constant theta and a discrete random variable y_i. It is unclear whether the random variables are dependent on each other or if the notation "|...|" is used to represent the expected value.
member 428835
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} |(y_i-\theta)|=n\theta[/tex]

where theta is a fixed constant and [itex]y_i[/itex] is a discrete random variable. does anyone know how to rewrite in close form?? also, everytime i use latex it starts a new line. how can i fix this so i can type directly with my sentances?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of using "tex" use "itex".

joshmccraney said:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} |(y_i-\theta)|=n\theta[/tex]

where theta is a fixed constant and [itex]y_i[/itex] is a discrete random variable.

It isn't clear what you mean by that equation. Are the [itex] y_i [/itex] random variables that are dependendent on each other in a way that forces [itex] \sum_{i=1}^n |(y_i-\theta)| [/itex] to always add up to be [itex] n \theta [/itex]?

Or are you using the notation "|...|" to mean "expected value" instead of "absolute value"?

What is the "sum problem about closing form"?

The "sum problem about closing form" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of a series of numbers that are presented in a specific format. The numbers are arranged in a closing form, meaning that the first number is added to the last number, the second number is added to the second-to-last number, and so on until all numbers are paired and added together.

How do you solve the "sum problem about closing form"?

To solve the "sum problem about closing form", you will need to first identify the pattern in which the numbers are arranged. Then, you can use a formula or algorithm to calculate the sum of the numbers. One common method is to add the first and last numbers, then the second and second-to-last numbers, and so on until you reach the middle of the series. Finally, you add all of these sums together to get the total sum of the series.

What is the purpose of the "sum problem about closing form"?

The purpose of the "sum problem about closing form" is to practice and demonstrate mathematical skills, particularly in pattern recognition and calculation. This problem can also be used to test cognitive abilities and logical thinking.

Are there any variations to the "sum problem about closing form"?

Yes, there are variations to the "sum problem about closing form" that may involve different number patterns or different methods of calculating the sum. Some variations may also involve finding the difference or product of the numbers instead of the sum.

Can the "sum problem about closing form" be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the "sum problem about closing form" can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the total cost of items with discounts or finding the total weight of objects with varying weights. It can also be used in financial calculations or in analyzing data sets with closing form patterns.