Solving equations of the form ##a\sin\theta+b\cos\theta = c##

So the general solution is ##\boxed{\theta =2n\pi+\pi/2}\; \text{OR}\;\boxed{\theta = 2n\pi\pm \cos^{-1}(4/5)}##.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Give the general solution to the equation : ##\sin\theta+2\cos\theta=1##
Relevant Equations
1. If ##\sin\theta = \sin\alpha## where ##\alpha## is the minimum positive angle whose "##\sin##" is the same as the "##\sin##" of the angle ##\theta##, then ##\boldsymbol{\theta=n\pi+(-1)^n \alpha}##
2. If ##\cos\theta = \cos\alpha## where ##\alpha## is the minimum positive angle whose "##\cos##" is the same as the "##\cos##" of the angle ##\theta##, then ##\boldsymbol{\theta=2n\pi\pm \alpha}##
3. ##\sin^2\theta = 1-\cos^2\theta##
Problem statement : Given the equation ##\sin\theta+2\cos\theta=1##, find the general solution for the angle ##\theta##.

Attempt : For the general case where we have ##a\sin\theta+b\cos\theta=c##, the line of approach is to take ##a=r\cos\alpha## and ##b=r\sin\alpha## wherein we will have ##r=(a^2+b^2)^{1/2}## and ##\alpha= \tan^{-1}\frac{b}{a}##.

For the equation ##\sin\theta+2\cos\theta=1##, let ##1=r\cos\alpha## and ##2=r\sin\alpha##. These yield ##r=\sqrt{5}## and ##\alpha = \tan^{-1}2= 63.43^{\circ}##.
The given equation reduces to ##r\sin(\theta+\alpha)=1\Rightarrow \underline{\sin(\theta+\alpha)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}} = \sin\beta\;\text{(say)}##, which gives ##\beta = \sin^{-1}(1/\sqrt{5}) = 26.57^{\circ}##.
The underlined equation can be solved using Relevant Equation(1) above to give : ##\theta+\alpha = n\pi+(-1)^n\beta\Rightarrow \boxed{\theta = n\pi -\tan^{-1}2+(-1)^n \sin^{-1}(1/\sqrt{5})}##.

Check :
(a) On putting ##n=0##, we have ##\theta_0 = -\tan^{-1}2+\sin^{-1}(1/\sqrt{5}) = -36.9^{\circ}## which satisfies the given equation ##\large{\checkmark}##.
(b) On putting, ##n=1##, we have ##\theta_1 = \pi -\tan^{-1}2-\sin^{-1}(1/\sqrt{5}) = 90^{\circ}## which satisfies the given equation ##\large{\checkmark}##.
(c) On putting, ##n=2##, we have ##\theta_2 = 2\pi -\tan^{-1}2+\sin^{-1}(1/\sqrt{5}) = 323.13^{\circ}## which satisfies the given equation ##\large{\checkmark}##.
[I assume that my general solution above (in box) is correct and will hold for all values of ##n \in \mathbb{Z}##.]

The issue : The answer in the book is given as ##\boxed{2n\pi+\pi/2\; \text{OR}\; 2n\pi-\gamma}\; \text{where}\; \gamma\; \text{is a positive acute angle whose sine is}\; 3/5##.

Check (Book's answer) :
(a) Putting ##n=0##, we have ##\theta_0 = 90^{\circ}\;\text{OR}\; \theta_0 = -\gamma = -36.9^{\circ}##. (These match my answers above though for different values of ##n##)##\large{\checkmark}##.
(b) Putting ##n=1##, we have ##\theta_1 = 450^{\circ}\;\text{OR}\; \theta_1 =2\pi -\gamma = 323.1^{\circ}##. (The second one matches my answers above though for a different value of ##n##)##\large{\checkmark}##. (The first one may match too for a different value of ##n##).

Is my solution correct? I understand that unless I check for several more values of ##n## it is difficult for someone to say.

Alternate solution :
My first solution and its correctness is put further into doubt when I realize that the problem can be solved in a different way.

Given ##\sin\theta+2\cos\theta=1\Rightarrow \sin^2{\theta}= (1-2\cos\theta)^2\Rightarrow 1-\cos^2\theta=1-4\cos\theta+4\cos^2\theta\Rightarrow 4\cos\theta=5\cos^2\theta##
##\Rightarrow \cos\theta(4-5\cos\theta)=0\Rightarrow \cos\theta = 0=\cos(\pi/2)\;\text{OR} \cos\theta = 4/5=\cos\gamma##
##\Rightarrow \boxed{\theta = 2n\pi+\pi/2}\; \text{OR}\; \boxed{\theta = 2n\pi\pm \cos^{-1}(4/5)}##. This answer is almost like the one in the book with the ##\gamma##'s being the same angles. Of course I have a ##\pm## whereas the book only has a ##-##sign. I suppose the angles will match since ##\cos({-\beta})=\cos{\beta}##.

Question remains - How does the first solution look so different? Is the method alright? A help or suggestion would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that [itex]\cos \theta = \frac45[/itex]. That means that [tex]\sin \theta = 1 - 2 \cos \theta = -\frac35.[/tex] Now [itex]\sin(2n\pi + \alpha) > 0[/itex] for [itex]0 < \alpha < \pi[/itex], so that's not going to be a solution.

Also: consider the right-angled triangle ABC where AB = 2, BC = 1 and [itex]AC = \sqrt{1 + 2^2} = \sqrt{5}[/itex]. The angle at A has a sine of [itex]1/\sqrt{5}[/itex] and the angle at C has a tangent of 2. These angles must sum to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Thus [tex]
\tan^{-1}(2) + \sin^{-1} \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}\right) = \frac{\pi}{2}.[/tex] By considering this triangle, you can also show that [tex]
\sin\left(\tan^{-1}(2) - \sin^{-1} \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}\right)\right) = \frac 35[/tex] so the two methods do in fact agree.

Last edited:
brotherbobby said:
Given ##\sin\theta+2\cos\theta=1\Rightarrow \sin^2{\theta}= (1-2\cos\theta)^2\Rightarrow 1-\cos^2\theta=1-4\cos\theta+4\cos^2\theta\Rightarrow 4\cos\theta=5\cos^2\theta##
##\Rightarrow \cos\theta(4-5\cos\theta)=0\Rightarrow \cos\theta = 0=\cos(\pi/2)\;\text{OR} \cos\theta = 4/5=\cos\gamma##
##\Rightarrow \boxed{\theta = 2n\pi+\pi/2}\; \text{OR}\; \boxed{\theta = 2n\pi\pm \cos^{-1}(4/5)}##. This answer is almost like the one in the book with the ##\gamma##'s being the same angles. Of course I have a ##\pm## whereas the book only has a ##-##sign. I suppose the angles will match since ##\cos({-\beta})=\cos{\beta}##.
You seemed to have skipped a few steps near the end. Applying your relevant equation #2 to ##\cos\theta = 0## gives ##\theta = 2n \pi \pm \pi/2##. Then you need to rule out the solution with the minus sign, which you may have done and just didn't mention it. But I suspected you didn't because for ##\cos\theta = 4/5=\cos\gamma##, you included the ##\pm## when solving for ##\theta##, but you didn't check if both options work. It turns out the plus sign doesn't as @pasmith noted.

1. What is the general form of equations involving sine and cosine?

The general form of equations involving sine and cosine is a sinθ + b cosθ = c, where a and b are constants and c is a real number.

2. How do I solve equations of the form a sinθ + b cosθ = c?

To solve equations of this form, you can use the following steps:

1. Combine the terms containing sine and cosine using trigonometric identities.
  2. Isolate the trigonometric function that has a coefficient of 1.
  3. Use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the angle θ.
  4. Substitute the value of θ into the original equation to find the value of c.

3. Can equations of this form have multiple solutions?

Yes, equations of this form can have multiple solutions. This is because sine and cosine functions are periodic, meaning they repeat themselves infinitely. Therefore, there can be multiple angles that satisfy the equation.

4. How do I know which solution to choose?

To determine which solution to choose, you can use the domain of the problem and the range of the trigonometric functions. For example, if the problem only asks for solutions in the interval [0, 2π], you would only choose solutions within that interval. Additionally, you can graph the equation to visually see the solutions and choose the appropriate one.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve equations of this form?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations of this form. Most scientific calculators have functions for sine, cosine, and inverse trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve these equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation manually in case the calculator gives an incorrect answer.