Register to reply

Heating F1 Tyres

by Jobrag
Tags: heating, tyres
Share this thread:
Jobrag
Jan15-13, 05:56 AM
P: 477
Whenever I watch F1 motor racing there's always a lot of talk about how important it is to keep the tyres warm, why don't F1 tyres have heating elements built in so that the tyres can be kept at an optimal temperature all the time?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
Augmented reality helps in industrial troubleshooting
How wireless technology can dramatically improve ship safety
sjb-2812
Jan15-13, 06:45 AM
P: 427
Partially technical regulations (http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ru.../8712/fia.html, 12.7.3).

Also, where would you put them? Cost would be a factor too, I think.
aroc91
Jan15-13, 12:14 PM
P: 165
Weight and weight distribution would also be a factor.

Tik
Jan16-13, 07:13 AM
P: 11
Heating F1 Tyres

I also think that an effort to keep the tyres warm is required only at the start of the race when the tyres may be, to an extent, cold. Once the race beings, the drivers start burning (sometimes literally!) the tyres with their speed. On the rare occasions when they do tone down their speed (like when the yellow flag is out), you'll notice them moving zig zag across the track. This is to keep the tyres warm even at low speeds. I think you'll agree it's a lot less complicated than having a heating element for reasons sjb and aroc pointed out.
Jobrag
Jan16-13, 07:22 AM
P: 477
"I also think that an effort to keep the tyres warm is required only at the start of the race when the tyres may be, to an extent, cold."

Seeing as how important the start is I'd have thought anything that gave any advantage would be jumped on.

"Cost would be a factor too, I think."
Is that a phrase that F1 teams understand?

The technical regs nail it as illegal, did they write that in to stop the very idea of built in tyre heaters?
Tik
Jan17-13, 12:01 AM
Yes, the start is important, but I believe they would have a built-in heater only if it's going to be of use throughout the race. If it's simply for the start, they might as well adopt an external method. I'm sure that using heating ovens for this is illegal, but I'm not sure about what other methods can be employed.

As far as the money they're willing to spend is concerned, I'm really not sure. I've read reports about how teams leave behind parts like aerodynamic wings because of the duty they'd have to pay in certain countries. The costs probably aren't comparable, but I'm just saying that they do worry about costs to a certain extent.
xxChrisxx
Jan18-13, 12:38 PM
P: 2,048
Quote Quote by Tik View Post
Yes, the start is important, but I believe they would have a built-in heater only if it's going to be of use throughout the race. If it's simply for the start, they might as well adopt an external method. I'm sure that using heating ovens for this is illegal, but I'm not sure about what other methods can be employed.
They use tyre warmers. Basically an electric blanket.
Tik
Jan18-13, 08:26 PM
Quote Quote by xxChrisxx View Post
They use tyre warmers. Basically an electric blanket.
Ah, bending the rules are they?

Register to reply