Heat exchanger and the second principle

In summary, the author is developing a Python package for simulation and optimization of industrial processes. He has come across a small question concerning the applicability of the second principle to a large counter-current heat exchanger. By induction, it is assumed that the output temperatures of small elements must remain in between the input temperatures, however this does not always hold true in practice. The author solved the problem numerically and found that the problem is a physical one, arising when very efficient exchangers with unbalanced flows are involved. The author wants to remove a constraint on the output temperatures but is not sure if this is possible without cutting the model into small elements. If it is possible, he would like to do so because it would make the model more efficient
maajdl
Gold Member
Hello,

I am developping a Python (/Pyomo) package for simulation and optimization of some industrial processes.
I want to create global (simplified) models for heat exhangers (and more) and avoid differential equations.
(to decrease the number of variables of the problem)
Most often the exchangers are counter-current.
To avoid nasty difficulties I avoid using the NTU method and prefer LMTD - like methods.

Doing so, I stumbled on a small question.

If we cut into small elements a counter-current heat exchanger, the second principle tells us that the output temperatures of the small elements must always remains in between the input temperatures. By induction, we see that this remains so for a "large" heat exchanger.

However, applying the second principle (DS>=0) to the full large exchanger does not garantee these limits on the output temperatures.
I did not anticipate that, but I observed this by solving the equations numerically.
This was however not a numerical problem, but a physical problem.
It occurs specially for very efficient exchangers with unbalanced flows.

The nasty consequence is that -apparently- I might be forced to cut the problem into small elements where the second principle will garantee the temperature limits in the elements and globally.

My question is: would it be possible to avoid cutting the model into small elements and keep the temperature ordering.

However note this:
For the simple heat exchanger model, I could simply write additional constraints on the temperatures (Tout1 within Tin1 and Tin2).
However, I want to go further than simple heat exchangers.
I want to model heat and mass exhcngers as well.
In that can the temperture ordering does not necessarily apply.
However the problem will remain:

How could I ensure the 2nd principle on the global scale as well as on the element scale ...
without cutting the model into elements?

Is there more theory about that?
Something like an additional constraint on the final states? Even with some additionaml assumptions ...

Thanks for your suggestions,

Maa

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your calculated values should inherently fall within the 2nd principle limits, if the calculated end temperature is outside those limits then that indicates there is a problem with your calculation method.

You are right:

A global model -that does not decompose into elements- can find a solution respecting the 1st and 2d principle.
However, it does not necessarily provide the correct solution.
When this occurs, there is no way to get the same result with elements in series without allowing some elements to decrease entropy.

When adding a constraint on the output temperatures, the problem disappears totally.
This means that the model is correct but incomplete if the constraint on temperature is removed.

I would like to remove this temperature constraint.
I would like to replace it by something more general, that could be applied when there is combined heat and mass exchange.

For example, in a drying process, the wet and cold material might get out of the exhcanger even colder because of the evaporation.
In that case, the constraints on output temperatures are not correct anymore.
The constraint on entropy production remains correct.
However, it is not garanteed that a global constraint on entropy production will imply a local constraint on entropy production (for each element).

Therefore, a model based on differential equations might be compulsory.
If it was possible, I would like to avoid it, because of the big impact on the optimization.

Thanks for your comment

Maa

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another without the two fluids coming into direct contact with each other. This allows for the transfer of thermal energy from a hotter fluid to a colder fluid, or vice versa, depending on the desired outcome.

2. How does a heat exchanger work?

A heat exchanger typically consists of two channels or paths, one for each fluid. The fluids flow through these channels in opposite directions, allowing for efficient heat transfer. The second principle of thermodynamics states that heat will naturally flow from a hotter object to a colder one, so the heat exchanger facilitates this process by providing a barrier between the two fluids while allowing for heat transfer.

3. What is the second principle of thermodynamics?

The second principle of thermodynamics states that heat will spontaneously flow from a hotter object to a colder one. This principle is a fundamental law of nature and is the reason why heat exchangers are able to function, as they facilitate the transfer of heat from a hotter fluid to a colder one.

4. Can heat exchangers violate the second principle of thermodynamics?

No, heat exchangers cannot violate the second principle of thermodynamics. While they may seem to transfer heat against the natural direction of the second principle, this is only because they are facilitating the transfer between two fluids and not creating heat on their own. The second principle will always hold true, and heat will always flow from a hotter object to a colder one.

5. What are some common applications of heat exchangers?

Heat exchangers have a wide range of applications in various industries, including HVAC systems, refrigeration, chemical processing, and power generation. They are also used in everyday household appliances such as air conditioners and refrigerators. Heat exchangers are crucial for efficient heat transfer in these systems, helping to conserve energy and reduce costs.