Quick question about negative declinations

• Thread starter BOYLANATOR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Negative
In summary: These angles range from 0 to -24 hours, but Dave has never encountered a declination angle more negative than -12 hours. He is unsure of what this means and questions the validity of the website. As an expert summarizer, it is clear that the website in question quotes declination angles in hours instead of degrees, and that a declination angle of -12 hours is equivalent to -180 degrees. This means that the asteroid in question is located at a very low declination angle and may be difficult to observe with a telescope. Additionally, the provided web link does not seem to be functional. In summary,
BOYLANATOR
I am trying to find the sky position of asteroids so that I can observe them using a telescope.
This site quotes the declination angle in hours and appears to range from 0 to -24. I have never heard of a declination angle more negative than -12 hours.
What does this mean?
http://scully.cfa.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/mpeph2.cgi

Astronomy news on Phys.org
BOYLANATOR said:
I am trying to find the sky position of asteroids so that I can observe them using a telescope.
This site quotes the declination angle in hours and appears to range from 0 to -24. I have never heard of a declination angle more negative than -12 hours.
What does this mean?

You web link doesn't appear to work.

BOYLANATOR said:
What does this mean?

thats incorrect

RA = Right Ascention is in hours minutes and seconds 0 - 24Hrs

DEC = Declination is in degrees minutes and seconds 0 deg at celestial equator going to + and - 90 degrees

Dave

What is a negative declination?

A negative declination is a measurement in astronomy that indicates the angle between a celestial object and the Earth's equator. It is expressed in degrees, with a negative value indicating that the object is south of the equator.

How is negative declination different from positive declination?

Negative declination is the same as positive declination in terms of measurement, but the direction is different. Positive declination indicates that the object is located north of the equator, while negative declination indicates that the object is located south of the equator.

What celestial objects can have negative declinations?

Any celestial object that is located south of the Earth's equator can have a negative declination. This includes stars, planets, and other astronomical bodies.

Why is it important to measure negative declinations?

Negative declinations are important in astronomy because they help astronomers locate and track objects in the southern hemisphere, which may not be visible from the northern hemisphere. They also provide information about the orientation and position of celestial objects in relation to the Earth's equator.

How do scientists measure negative declinations?

Negative declinations are measured using a coordinate system called the equatorial coordinate system. This system divides the sky into two hemispheres, with the Earth's equator serving as the reference point. Scientists use specialized tools such as telescopes and astrolabes to measure the angle between a celestial object and the Earth's equator, which determines its declination.