Register to reply

Finding simplest radical form of a 4th root?

by Apollinaria
Tags: form, radical, root, simplest
Share this thread:
Apollinaria
Jan15-13, 08:42 PM
P: 82
I haven't taken math in years and am having trouble understanding how to find simplest radical form of a 4√(x14).

I said x4√x10.

I realize I have 3 x4ths and x2 but I'm not sure if I can pull out more xs.

What are the rules for this? Ideas, insight?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
symbolipoint
Jan15-13, 09:37 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,823
Quote Quote by Apollinaria View Post
I haven't taken math in years and am having trouble understanding how to find simplest radical form of a 4√(x14).

I said x4√x10.

I realize I have 3 x4ths and x2 but I'm not sure if I can pull out more xs.

What are the rules for this? Ideas, insight?
For each occurance of x^4 as a factor in the term of the radicand, you have x to move to outside of the radical function.

[itex]\sqrt[4]{x^{14}}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt[4]{x^4\cdot x^4\cdot x^4\cdot x^2}[/itex]

=[itex]x^3\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex]
sjb-2812
Jan16-13, 06:06 AM
P: 427
Quote Quote by symbolipoint View Post
For each occurance of x^4 as a factor in the term of the radicand, you have x to move to outside of the radical function.

[itex]\sqrt[4]{x^{14}}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt[4]{x^4\cdot x^4\cdot x^4\cdot x^2}[/itex]

=[itex]x^3\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex]
Can you simplify [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] still further to [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], or does that fall foul of something like principal roots?

I like Serena
Jan16-13, 06:29 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,188
Finding simplest radical form of a 4th root?

Hi Apollinaria!

There are a few rules for dealing with radical form, powers from powers, and sums of powers.
Here's how it works in your case:
$$\sqrt[4]{x^{14}} = (x^{14})^{\frac 1 4} = x^{14 \cdot \frac 1 4} = x^{3 + \frac 1 2} = x^3 \cdot x^{\frac 1 2} = x^3 \sqrt x$$
Khashishi
Jan16-13, 10:26 AM
P: 887
Quote Quote by sjb-2812 View Post
Can you simplify [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] still further to [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], or does that fall foul of something like principal roots?
That doesn't work if x is negative. If you are considering all the complex roots, then [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] has 4 roots and [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] has 2.

But, I think it works if you group together the solutions like [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] or [itex]\sqrt{-x}[/itex].
I like Serena
Jan16-13, 10:46 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,188
Quote Quote by sjb-2812 View Post
Quote Quote by Khashishi View Post
That doesn't work if x is negative. If you are considering all the complex roots, then [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] has 4 roots and [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] has 2.

But, I think it works if you group together the solutions like [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] or [itex]\sqrt{-x}[/itex].
With the assumption that x is a non-negative real, it can be safely simplified.

If x can be a negative real, we have that √(x2) = |x| and 4√(x2)=√|x|.
However, in general we need to be very careful with negative real numbers and fractional powers.
They are generally not well-defined.
See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponen...onal_exponents
(The last couple of lines of the section.)

If x can be a complex number, it becomes even worse:
See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponen...thm_identities

Register to reply