Significant figures for special functions (square roots)

In summary, the rule of thumb for significant figures is not applicable in physics. Instead, you should report the uncertainty explicitly and use the propagation of errors formula to calculate the error after taking the square root. This will result in a more accurate and precise measurement.
yucheng
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to decide which scheme to follow....
I am using square roots, however, I am confused over how many significant figures (s.f.) to keep.
Suppose I have ##\sqrt{3.0}##, which has 2 s.f.

From three different sources, I'll put a summary in brackets:
https://www.kpu.ca/sites/default/files/downloads/signfig.pdf
(if 2 s.f. in the data, keep 3 s.f. in the result; this also appeared in the answers for Kleppner's Introduction to Mechanics)
http://cda.morris.umn.edu/~mcintogc/classes/modern/sigfig.htm
(if 2 s.f., keep 2s.f.)
https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...cant-figures-involving-radicals-and-exponents
(if 2 s.f., keep 2s.f.)

So, which is correct (not for high school, but for Physics in general)? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For physics in general none of the approaches is correct. Significant figures is a rule of thumb for students.

In a scientific paper you would report your uncertainty explicitly. So if you measured something to be 3.0 with a standard uncertainty of 0.2 then you would report it as ##3.0 \pm 0.2## or more concisely ##3.0(2)##.

You would use the propagation of errors formula to report the error after the square root.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, sophiecentaur, yucheng and 1 other person
yucheng said:
I am using square roots, however, I am confused over how many significant figures (s.f.) to keep.
Suppose I have ##\sqrt{3.0}##, which has 2 s.f.
If you use the propagation of errors formula, you will find that taking the square root cuts the relative error in half. This buys you 3 dB -- 30% of one significant digit. [If you know x to plus or minus 1 percent, you know ##\sqrt{x}## to plus or minus half a percent].

Conversely, squaring a number worsens the relative error by a factor of two. This costs you 30% of a significant digit. [If you know know x to plus or minus 1 percent, you only know ##x^2## to plus or minus 2 percent].

• Informative
Likes yucheng, sophiecentaur and berkeman

What are significant figures and why are they important in special functions?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that represent the precision of the measurement. In special functions, such as square roots, significant figures are important because they indicate the level of accuracy in the result. It is crucial to properly round the final answer to the correct number of significant figures to ensure accuracy.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a square root?

The number of significant figures in a square root is equal to the number of significant figures in the radicand (number under the radical). For example, if the radicand has 3 significant figures, the square root will also have 3 significant figures.

What is the rule for rounding significant figures in square roots?

The general rule for rounding significant figures in square roots is to round the final answer to the same number of significant figures as the radicand. If the radicand has an even number of significant figures, round to the nearest even number. If the radicand has an odd number of significant figures, round to the nearest odd number.

Can I ignore significant figures when using a calculator for square roots?

No, it is important to pay attention to significant figures when using a calculator for square roots. Most calculators will display the full decimal answer, but it is necessary to round the final answer to the correct number of significant figures manually.

What should I do if the number under the radical has more significant figures than the final answer can have?

In this case, you should use scientific notation to express the final answer. This will allow you to properly represent the significant figures and maintain accuracy in the result.