destroyer130
Jan15-13, 09:40 PM
P: 18
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	54775

Based on this and the equation F = -d[itex]\Phi[/itex]/dr. I can't visualize what is positive and negative force direction (what is positive direction). So is that just mean whenever the force between 2 molecules (+), it's repulsive; and whenever it's (-), it's attractive? Thanks for checking this out.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
Augmented reality helps in industrial troubleshooting
How wireless technology can dramatically improve ship safety
Chestermiller
Feb15-13, 09:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,245
Quote Quote by destroyer130 View Post
Attachment 54775

Based on this and the equation F = -d[itex]\Phi[/itex]/dr. I can't visualize what is positive and negative force direction (what is positive direction). So is that just mean whenever the force between 2 molecules (+), it's repulsive; and whenever it's (-), it's attractive? Thanks for checking this out.
What this graph is telling you is that, if the two molecules are farther apart than rm, the force between them is attractive, but if they are closer together than this, the force is repulsive.
davidyanni10
Mar25-13, 02:44 PM
P: 19
What Chestermiller said.

I just want to point out that with the equation you posted the force is attractive when it is positive and repulsive when negative (not the other way around) (When the slope of the potential curve is negative the force is positive)

Register to reply