Lennard Jones Potential and the Average Distance Between Two Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average distance between two particles that interact via a Lennard Jones potential in two dimensions. The potential is given as a function of the interparticle distance and the canonical density is also provided. Two different approaches are discussed, one involving a 1D integral and the other involving a 6D integral. The conversation concludes by questioning the validity of treating the new variables as independent and noting that the formulas for the average distance look different in 1, 2, and 3 dimensions.
SchroedingersLion
Greetings!

Suppose I have 2 particles that interact via a Lennard Jones potential $$U(\mathbf{q}_{1}, \mathbf{q}_{2}) = 4 \epsilon \left[ \left( \frac{\sigma}{r} \right)^{12} - \left( \frac{\sigma}{r} \right)^6 \right] $$
with interparticle distance ##r=|\mathbf{q}_{1} - \mathbf{q}_{2}|##.

The canonical density ## \rho(\mathbf{q}_{1}, \mathbf{q}_{2})=\frac{1}{Z}e^{-\beta U} ## and I want to calculate the average distance between the particles in 2 dimensions. In a first attempt, I thought it was legit to simply write

$$ <r> = \int_{0}^{\infty} r \rho(r)\, dr .$$

But then I wondered: Is this even equivalent to the expression one needs to start with, i.e.
$$<r> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\mathbf{q}_{1} - \mathbf{q}_{2}| \rho(\mathbf{q}_{1}, \mathbf{q}_{2}) \,d\mathbf{q_1} \, d\mathbf{q_{2}}$$

This is a volume integral and it feels like turning it into a 1D integral is wrong, as I lose the information about the number of dimensions in doing so.
So I could start by doing a proper substitution, say ##r=|\mathbf{q}_{1} - \mathbf{q}_{2}|## but how would I transform the differentials then?
SL

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Say
[tex]\mathbf{r}=\mathbf{q_2}-\mathbf{q_1}[/tex]
, the last equation of OP is
[tex]<r>=\int \frac{1}{Z}\mathbf{dq_1} \int e^{-\beta U(r)} d\mathbf{r}=\frac{V}{Z} \int_0^\infty e^{-\beta U(r)} 4\pi r^2 dr[/tex]
where volume integrals are mentioned single integral symbol and the potential dumps almost zero at size of the volume V.

Last edited:
I on the contrary agree with your first approach, that involves only the interparticle distance ##r## and i think its a nice and neat way to find the average interparticle distance since everything is given as functions of ##r##. Why did you abandon this approach?

Your second approach instead resolves to the individual distances ##r_1,r_2## and is not what you think it is. I worked that "double" integral (which is not a volume integral btw) in cartesian coordinates and i got for the x-coordinate of the average distance the result
$$x=\int\int \sqrt{(x_1-x_2)^2+(y_1-y_2)^2+(z_1-z_2)^2}e^{-\beta U(\sqrt{(x_1-x_2)^2+(y_1-y_2)^2+(z_1-z_2)^2})}dx_1dx_2 $$

which is simply meaningless as the coordinates ##y_i,z_i## remain as variables in the expression for x. Thats why i said this approach is not what you think it is.

EDIT: I interpreted your "double" integral having in mind standard vector calculus notation. For example for the differentials ##dq_1=dx_1\hat i+dy_1\hat j+dz_1\hat k##. Perhaps you meant to write ##d^3q_1d^3q_2## there for the differentials and then it indeed becomes a double volume integral (6-ple integral).

Last edited:
Likes SchroedingersLion
anuttarasammyak said:
Say
[tex]\mathbf{r}=\mathbf{q_2}-\mathbf{q_1}[/tex]
, the last equation of OP is
[tex]<r>=\int \frac{1}{Z}\mathbf{dq_1} \int e^{-\beta U(r)} d\mathbf{r}=\frac{V}{Z} \int_0^\infty e^{-\beta U(r)} 4\pi r^2 dr[/tex]
where volume integrals are mentioned single integral symbol and the potential dumps almost zero at size of the volume V.
Here, somehow the factor ##|\vec{q}_1-\vec{q}_2|## seems to be missing.

I think the right thing is given in #1 already. With
$$\rho(\vec{q}_1,\vec{q}_2)=\frac{1}{Z} \exp[-V(|\vec{q}_1-\vec{q}_2|)], \quad Z=\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 q_1 \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 q_2 \exp[-V(|\vec{q}_1-\vec{q}_2|)].$$
First we introduce the center-of-mass position of two particles and their relative position vector
$$\vec{R}=\frac{1}{2} (\vec{q}_1+\vec{q}_2), \quad \vec{r}=\vec{q}_1-\vec{q}_2.$$
The Jacobian for the 6D integral is
$$\mathrm{d}^3 R \mathrm{d}^3 r=\mathrm{d}^3 q_1 \mathrm{d}^3 q_2.$$
From this you get (assuming that ##V## is a macroscopic volume, so that you can integrate over all ##\vec{r} \in \mathbb{R}^3##)
$$Z= \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 R \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \exp[-V(r)]= 4 \pi V \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} r r^2 \exp[-V(r)].$$
For the average ##r## you need the integral
$$\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 R \int_{\mathbb{R}}^3 r \exp[-V(r)]=4 \pi V \int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} r r^3 \exp[-V(r)].$$
So finally
$$\langle r \rangle=\frac{\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} r r^3 \exp[-V(r)]}{\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} r r^2\exp[-V(r)]}.$$

Likes hutchphd, SchroedingersLion and anuttarasammyak
vanhees71 said:
Here, somehow the factor ##|\vec{q}_1-\vec{q}_2|## seems to be missing.

I think the right thing is given in #1 already. With
$$\rho(\vec{q}_1,\vec{q}_2)=\frac{1}{Z} \exp[-V(|\vec{q}_1-\vec{q}_2|)], \quad Z=\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 q_1 \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 q_2 \exp[-V(|\vec{q}_1-\vec{q}_2|)].$$
First we introduce the center-of-mass position of two particles and their relative position vector
$$\vec{R}=\frac{1}{2} (\vec{q}_1+\vec{q}_2), \quad \vec{r}=\vec{q}_1-\vec{q}_2.$$
The Jacobian for the 6D integral is
$$\mathrm{d}^3 R \mathrm{d}^3 r=\mathrm{d}^3 q_1 \mathrm{d}^3 q_2.$$
From this you get (assuming that ##V## is a macroscopic volume, so that you can integrate over all ##\vec{r} \in \mathbb{R}^3##)
$$Z= \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 R \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \exp[-V(r)]= 4 \pi V \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} r r^2 \exp[-V(r)].$$
For the average ##r## you need the integral
$$\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 R \int_{\mathbb{R}}^3 r \exp[-V(r)]=4 \pi V \int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} r r^3 \exp[-V(r)].$$
So finally
$$\langle r \rangle=\frac{\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} r r^3 \exp[-V(r)]}{\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} r r^2\exp[-V(r)]}.$$

Thank you for this outline. But it differs from my first approach which was:

$$
<r> = \frac{\int_{0}^{\infty} re^{-U(r)} \mathrm{d}r}{\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-U(r)} \mathrm{d}r}
$$
This would only be the same to your result if one could cancel the extra ##r##. Now, my simulation approaches a value that, within the limits of the statistics, resembles my analytical result.

Is it legit to treat the new variables ##\mathbf{R}(\mathbf{q_1}, \mathbf{q_2})## and ##\mathbf{r}(\mathbf{q_1}, \mathbf{q_2})## as independent from one another?

As I write this, I notice that I, in my simulation, treat the 1D case. In this case, your calculation reduces to my approach. So the formulas look different in 1, 2, or 3 dimensions. I find this to be a bit strange, as the potential is isotropic. How could you intuitively explain different average distances then?

SchroedingersLion said:
As I write this, I notice that I, in my simulation, treat the 1D case. In this case, your calculation reduces to my approach. So the formulas look different in 1, 2, or 3 dimensions. I find this to be a bit strange, as the potential is isotropic. How could you intuitively explain different average distances then?
In D=1 you are averaging over a line, in D=2 over a circumference, in D=3 over a sphere. That should make some difference.
You are right that the symmetry of your LJ potential makes the problem 'effectively' 1-dimensional, but we might say that it is to be intended in a somewhat different sense from a really 1-dimensional problem.

Concretely, you can interpret the 1-dimensional mean as a mean over points grouped in bins of size d##r##; instead in 3 dimensions your "bins" will be spherical shells with surface area ##4\pi r^2## and thickness d##r##. That's how I am used to see it, but maybe someone comes up with a better picture.

Unless you are explicitly working with particles living in a one-dimensional space, vanhees71's answer is indeed the right one. Just make sure that you understand what does it actually mean to make these change of variables, they are not "just" abstract mathematical steps

Likes SchroedingersLion
Well, I assume the substitutions are to decouple the two integrals. The potential ##U(r)## depends on both position variables. However, it does only depend on their relative position w.r.t. each other, not their absolute position. Therefore, splitting the dynamics into the movement of the center of mass (variable ##\mathbf{R}##) and an orientation vector (variable ##\mathbf{r}##) allows for a simpler integration.

To your comments to dimensionality: I understand that his formula is correct. I was just mentioning that, as I am treating the 1D case (i.e. particles moving along a line) in my simulation, his formula reduces to my formula - only that, originally, I thought my formula would also hold for higher dimensions.

Intuitively, I still don't see why I should get a different average distance in 1D or 2D. How would you explain the physical fact that you get different distances to a pupil with no idea of the maths?

I would discuss the difference in the result of a 1 dimensional and 3 dimensional random walk with equal probability on each axis. I think that becomes obvious with proper explanation.

Likes SchroedingersLion and vanhees71
SchroedingersLion said:
Thank you for this outline. But it differs from my first approach which was:

$$
<r> = \frac{\int_{0}^{\infty} re^{-U(r)} \mathrm{d}r}{\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-U(r)} \mathrm{d}r}
$$
This would only be the same to your result if one could cancel the extra ##r##. Now, my simulation approaches a value that, within the limits of the statistics, resembles my analytical result.

Is it legit to treat the new variables ##\mathbf{R}(\mathbf{q_1}, \mathbf{q_2})## and ##\mathbf{r}(\mathbf{q_1}, \mathbf{q_2})## as independent from one another?

You have to use the Jacobian between spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates. For 1D there's no transformation, so there ##J=1##. For 2D you have polar coordinates in the plane. There ##J=r##. For 3D you have ##J=r^2 \sin \vartheta##.

Likes SchroedingersLion
The integral doesn't converge without a volume regularisation by the way, that's always the case with potentials that approach a constant at infinity.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Lennard Jones potential?

The Lennard Jones potential is a mathematical model used to describe the interactions between two particles, such as atoms or molecules. It takes into account both attractive and repulsive forces between the particles and is commonly used in the study of intermolecular interactions.

2. How is the Lennard Jones potential calculated?

The Lennard Jones potential is calculated using the following equation: V(r) = 4ε[(σ/r)^12 - (σ/r)^6], where r is the distance between the two particles, ε is the depth of the potential well, and σ is the distance at which the potential is zero.

3. What is the significance of the parameters ε and σ in the Lennard Jones potential?

The parameter ε represents the strength of the intermolecular interactions and is related to the depth of the potential well. The parameter σ represents the distance at which the potential is zero and is related to the size of the particles. These parameters can be adjusted to model different types of particles and their interactions.

4. How does the Lennard Jones potential affect the average distance between two particles?

The Lennard Jones potential affects the average distance between two particles by determining the equilibrium distance between them. At this distance, the attractive and repulsive forces are balanced, resulting in a stable and most probable distance between the particles. As the parameters ε and σ change, the equilibrium distance also changes.

5. What factors can influence the average distance between two particles according to the Lennard Jones potential?

The average distance between two particles according to the Lennard Jones potential can be influenced by various factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the type of particles involved. Changes in these factors can alter the strength of the intermolecular interactions and affect the equilibrium distance between the particles.