pseudoscalars and pseudovectors

by copernicus1
Tags: pseudoscalars, pseudovectors
copernicus1
Jan18-13, 11:19 AM
P: 82
I remember learning that a pseudoscalar is one that changes sign under a parity inversion, like the determinant of a matrix. Pseudoscalar particles have parity eigenvalue -1. Why is it that pseudovector particles have parity value +1?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Sensitive detection method may help impede illicit nuclear trafficking
CERN: World-record current in a superconductor
Beam on target: CEBAF accelerator achieves 12 GeV commissioning milestone
fzero
Jan18-13, 12:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,606
An ordinary vector changes sign under a parity inversion, so a pseudovector must not.
copernicus1
Jan18-13, 02:45 PM
P: 82
I think I get it. A pseudovector, after being reflected, is also reversed in direction. A vector is simply reflected.

D H
Jan18-13, 04:27 PM
Mentor
P: 14,427

pseudoscalars and pseudovectors

Quote Quote by copernicus1 View Post
I think I get it. A pseudovector, after being reflected, is also reversed in direction. A vector is simply reflected.
Another way to look at it: A polar vector (or true vector) has the component normal to the mirror reversed upon reflection. Pseudovectors don't. Stand in front of a mirror and point straight at your reflection. Your reflection is pointing back at you, opposite the direction you are pointing. Now rotate some object so that the axis of rotation is into the mirror. The axis of rotation reflected image is also into the mirror, unaffected by the reflection.

Register to reply