File income tax for past years?

by dipole
Tags: file, income
dipole
Jan17-13, 12:43 PM
P: 418
I have a W-2 from 2007 which I never filed for an income tax refund... is it still possible to file this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Jimmy Snyder
Jan17-13, 12:46 PM
P: 2,163
I am not an expert, I just googled this. You should get expert advice.
Three year statute of limitations.
Vanadium 50
Jan17-13, 01:35 PM
Mentor
P: 15,576
If this will decrease your tax liability (i.e. you will get a refund) it is too late. You have three years. If this will increase your tax liability, you need a tax professional pronto.

russ_watters
Jan17-13, 11:20 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999

File income tax for past years?

Even if it would reduce your tax liability, the penalty of not filing for three years may mean you owe. Either way, you're better off filing: The IRS is slow, but they'll eventually get you.
Greg Bernhardt
Jan18-13, 08:00 AM
Admin
P: 8,534
I agree with Russ. You can only evade the IRS for so long. Eventually they will want their money and you'll likely pay stiff interest penalties. Best to call up a CPA and find out what your options are.
Evo
Jan18-13, 03:12 PM
Mentor
P: 25,928
If you live or work in a state with state tax, definitely seek advice, even if you don't owe the IRS, you may still owe state tax, and I hear the state tax auditors make the IRS look like your best friend.
dipole
Jan18-13, 11:35 PM
P: 418
I wouldn't owe them anything, but thanks for the advice. I was a dependent at the time, and I'm the one owed money, but I guess it's too late for that. Silly 17 year old me. :)
Borg
Jan19-13, 04:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 728
Quote Quote by dipole View Post
I wouldn't owe them anything, but thanks for the advice. I was a dependent at the time, and I'm the one owed money, but I guess it's too late for that. Silly 17 year old me. :)
If you were claimed as a dependant on your parent's return, you couldn't file separately anyway.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan19-13, 04:55 AM
Quote Quote by Borg View Post
If you were claimed as a dependant on your parent's return, you couldn't file separately anyway.
This is not correct. He could file, he just couldn't claim himself as a dependent.
Borg
Jan19-13, 05:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 728
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
This is not correct. He could file, he just couldn't claim himself as a dependent.
Oops.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan19-13, 05:51 AM
You needn't be embarrassed, it's a common misspelling.

Register to reply