How to disable access to old data with newest version of software?

In summary, you can't disable a newer version of software from opening files created with an older version.
quoring
TL;DR Summary
I need to figure out a way how to disable access to old data with the newest version of software that is build for that data type
Here are two examples:

1. Microsoft Excel. If you buy the newest version of Microsoft Office, it is able to open and read all files that were created with the older versions of Microsoft Office. Let's say that I have an older version of Microsoft Excel and I create some files with it. Later I buy the newest version of Microsoft Office and I want to disable the ability of the newest version to open the files created with the older version.

2. In a school they have database of students and their school results in all subjects in all the previous years. There is a software that can be used to open, read and write into the database. Let's say that the school buys the newest version of this software, an update, and I want to disable the access of that newest version of the software to that students database created with one of the previous versions.

How can I achieve that? Thank you.

Technology news on Phys.org
Generally speaking you can't.
A file does not "know" which software is trying to open it; so there is no simple way to prevent a specific piece of software from opening it. You can of course restrict access in the usual way (say password protect it), but then you will prevent the old version to open it as well.

Btw, "version" is not really a well defined technical concept; a simple bugfix is strictly speaking a new version but would generally not be sold as a new version of say Office (whereas some companies will charge you for every single update to your software, even if it doesn't really add useful features)

I know that it is not possible. However I still need to figure that out.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu
quoring said:
Make the old files Read-Only, and you're done. You want to keep the new software from updating the format when saving so that the old versions can still read the old files, right?

Likes sysprog
I want the latest (newest) software not to be able to open it at all.

I do not care about the old version. I did not write anything about if the older versions can still open it or not. I do not care.

Why ?

Likes Wrichik Basu and berkeman
quoring said:
I want the latest (newest) software not to be able to open it at all.

I do not care about the old version. I did not write anything about if the older versions can still open it or not. I do not care.
Can you just delete the old data?

quoring said:
How can I achieve that?
You can't. So if that is your goal, it's impossible.

If what you are asking about is just a way you are trying to achieve some other goal, there might be a different way to achieve that other goal that isn't impossible. The only way to figure that out is for us to know what the other goal is, if there is one.

quoring said:
Cool. You know it is impossible but you want to do it anyway. I admire your optimism. But not your grasp of reality.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50

1. How do I disable access to old data with the newest version of software?

To disable access to old data with the newest version of software, you can use a variety of methods such as implementing data encryption, using a secure data deletion tool, or updating your software's access control settings.

2. Can I still access my old data with the newest version of software?

It depends on the method used to disable access to old data. If the data is encrypted, you may be able to access it by decrypting it with the correct key. However, if the data has been permanently deleted or the access control settings have been changed, you may not be able to access your old data.

3. Will disabling access to old data affect the performance of the newest version of software?

It is possible that disabling access to old data may have a minor impact on the performance of the newest version of software. However, if the data is encrypted or deleted using efficient methods, the impact on performance should be minimal.

4. How can I ensure that my old data is completely inaccessible with the newest version of software?

To ensure that your old data is completely inaccessible with the newest version of software, you can use a combination of methods such as encrypting the data, permanently deleting it, and updating access control settings. It is important to regularly review and update these measures to maintain data security.

5. Is there any way to recover old data if it has been disabled with the newest version of software?

If the data has been permanently deleted, it may not be possible to recover it. However, if the data was encrypted, you may be able to recover it by decrypting it with the correct key. It is recommended to keep backups of important data to prevent permanent loss.