Why Do Atoms (generally) Follow The Octet Rule?

• Thread starter Astrum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, atoms generally want to be filled with electrons because they have 8 low-energy states for electrons, which is a result of the solution to the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen-like atoms with modifications for other electrons. The Pauli Exclusion Principle also plays a role in the octet rule and should be given more attention in introductory quantum mechanics. The number 8 is favored by hydrogen-like atoms due to the solutions of the Schrodinger equation, but this is a messy way to calculate energy levels.
Astrum
I understand that there are a lot of exceptions to the octet rule, but why do atoms generally WANT to be filled up with electrons?

I asked my chemistry friend about this, he didn't have an answer, so I'm assuming that there is a fundamental answer somewhere in QM.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are more exceptions than atoms following this rule.
Those atoms have (apart from filled shells) 8 low-energy states for electrons, so they "like" to fill them with electrons. That number of 8 comes from the solution of the Schroedinger equation for hydrogen-like atoms, with some modifications to account for other electrons.

Actually, if I understand correctly, the standard Schrodinger equation does not account for the octet rule, since the filling of shells requires the Pauli Exclusion principle (PEP) as well. The PEP is usually treated as an ad hoc extra assumption in basic chemistry QM, whereas in fact it falls directly out of a relativistic treatment, something Schrodinger himself did not do (or did he?). In my opinion this should be treated as more important in basic QM than it typically is, since without the PEP there would be no atoms as we know them, hence no matter and no chemistry (or very different chemistry). The fact that the math of the relativistic solution is hard should not preclude at least an introductory presentation in intro physchem.

Those are the modifications to account for other electrons - you have to fill other orbitals, and their energy gets modified (in particular, s-orbitals are below p-orbitals and those are below d-orbitals with the same principal quantum number).

So, you're saying that the reason that 8 is sometimes favored by hydrogen like atoms, is answered by Schrödingers equations?

Depends on the interpretation of "answered".
If you look for total antisymmetric solutions for n electrons around a nucleus (satisfying the Schrödinger equation), you get energy levels where you can see that number of 8 with the correct interpretation. This is a messy way to calculate energy levels, however.

What is the Octet Rule?

The Octet Rule is a principle in chemistry that states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to achieve a stable configuration of 8 valence electrons, similar to the noble gases.

Why do atoms follow the Octet Rule?

Atoms follow the Octet Rule because it helps them achieve a stable electron configuration and become more energetically stable. This makes them less likely to react with other atoms and form chemical bonds.

Are there any exceptions to the Octet Rule?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the Octet Rule, particularly for elements in the third period or higher on the periodic table. These elements can have expanded valence shells and can accommodate more than 8 valence electrons.

What happens when atoms do not follow the Octet Rule?

When atoms do not follow the Octet Rule, they can form unstable molecules or ions. These molecules or ions may be highly reactive and can often participate in chemical reactions to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

How does the Octet Rule relate to chemical bonding?

The Octet Rule is closely related to chemical bonding. Atoms follow the Octet Rule in order to achieve a full outer electron shell, which makes them more stable. This stability allows them to form bonds with other atoms, resulting in the formation of molecules and compounds.