Register to reply

Low drag gas nose bullet idea

by Chris Evans
Tags: bullet, drag, nose
Share this thread:
Chris Evans
Jan20-13, 09:55 PM
P: 4
I have an idea that I would like to discuss.

My idea is to emit a low pressure low friction gas out the nose of a small arms bullet. I believe it would lower the drag over the body of the bullet thus increasing velocity and range.

I just need to know if the phyics are right is this possible and would it work? I have just filed for a patent so I hope the phyics are right lol.

What do you guyz think would be a good gas?

Any help would be great thanks for looking at the thread.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vibrational motion of a single molecule measured in real time
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
Aero51
Jan20-13, 10:14 PM
P: 546
You haven't described your reasoning, just the idea. Why do you think this would work? I can tell you that if you could somehow heat the air around the bullet you could reduce wave drag, which is substantial on a typical bullet.
Chris Evans
Jan20-13, 10:19 PM
Is there a pressurised gas that gives off extreme heat when it is released into a sea level atmosphere?

Aero51
Jan20-13, 10:22 PM
Low drag gas nose bullet idea

You still haven't justified your idea.
Chris Evans
Jan20-13, 10:26 PM
well i'm not an expert in phyics but i guessing if you release a lower pressure gas over the body of the bullet that means the air is thinner around the bullet thus reducing drag.
Chris Evans
Jan20-13, 10:43 PM
Are there two types of gas that when mixed have an extreme reation producing an enormous amount of heat?
SteamKing
Jan21-13, 12:27 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,474
Regardless of the properties of this gas, where is it to be stored? Bullets, the actual projectile part, tend to be pretty small objects.
Bobbywhy
Jan21-13, 02:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,894
Quote Quote by Chris Evans View Post
I have an idea that I would like to discuss.

My idea is to emit a low pressure low friction gas out the nose of a small arms bullet. I believe it would lower the drag over the body of the bullet thus increasing velocity and range.

I just need to know if the phyics are right is this possible and would it work? I have just filed for a patent so I hope the phyics are right lol.

What do you guyz think would be a good gas?

Any help would be great thanks for looking at the thread.
Since you have filed for a patent then the the invention and drawings are open to the public. Why not just post all the information (description, drawings, and claims) here so members and visitors can see for themselves exactly what you proposed in the patent application? Then everyone would be far better equipped to offer the opinions and judgements you have asked for. Thank you.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

(edit) What's a "low friction gas"? Can you give some example of one?
Aero51
Jan21-13, 07:29 PM
The only thing I can think that the OP might be describing is hydrogen or helium, which is used in *light* *gas* guns, hence the name. But I do not think it is low friction so much as it has a much higher speed of sound than air.
Khashishi
Jan21-13, 08:14 PM
P: 887
How do you lower the pressure by adding gas? Adding gas increases the pressure. You can't displace a higher pressure gas with a lower pressure. You probably just end up making the pressure higher still.
Lsos
Jan22-13, 03:14 AM
P: 777
I wonder if OP got his idea from supercavitating torpedoes, which work on a similar principle except underwater.

Not sure if the concept can be extended to a projectile in air....

Would a cryogenic gas have lower friction?
Bobbywhy
Jan22-13, 03:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,894
Quote Quote by Lsos View Post
I wonder if OP got his idea from supercavitating torpedoes, which work on a similar principle except underwater.

Not sure if the concept can be extended to a projectile in air....

Would a cryogenic gas have lower friction?
I had the same idea: supercavitating torpedoes!
sophiecentaur
Jan22-13, 04:12 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,132
Quote Quote by Bobbywhy View Post
Since you have filed for a patent then the the invention and drawings are open to the public. Why not just post all the information (description, drawings, and claims) here so members and visitors can see for themselves exactly what you proposed in the patent application? Then everyone would be far better equipped to offer the opinions and judgements you have asked for. Thank you.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

A squirt of WD40?

Register to reply