If you could change a single historical event...

by martix
Tags: event, historical, single
Czcibor
Jan20-13, 01:56 PM
P: 64
Under assumption that I have a GURPS ability: "rooted in probability" and even if major time paradox happen I still exist?

I'd try to remove assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria with hope of eliminating WW1, communism, and willingness for Germans to look for revenge in WW2. (but I can't exclude a possibility that a different total war can be fought in XXth century)

Presumably the outcome (price/backslash/whatever) would be maintaining monarchies for a few decades more, slower decolonization and developing nuclear weapons first not by the US, but by German Empire. Paradoxically it would be possible that I would not be living in an independent country now.

EDIT: Matrix - do you think that we would not develop a different universalistic religion? (or give a chance to already existing one, to become the dominating one like to ex. Zoroastrianism)
WyWonder
Jan20-13, 04:46 PM
P: 5
Hmm. My answer is kind of similar to CZCibor. Only that I would say to eliminate all major wars that ever took place. While this sounds impossible to the kind of world we live in. it is kind of the utopia kind of wishful thinking. But, you did ask what in history I would want to get rid of.

Instead of wars for example to Early America I could only wish the early settlers made peace with the Indians. The Indians did not care for money they did not have. The land and the freedom were there.

But if Indians did use arrows and tomahawks does mean they had to war against even other tribes at times. That also would have been eliminated.

From the Persian Empire to the Babylonian empire to Alexander the Great to the Roman Empire to the Ottoman Empire to all and every war even until now of Syria could be mended by a peace treaty.

I donít like war even if good or bad on either side. Rather take captives and place them in prison at least to live. I am against Death penalty. I choose Life in prison. When someone is meant to die they will. No weapons needed to take ones life. Everyone deserves to live even them behind bars. Let Death takes it own course. Not to intervene in speeding it up in any way. Life to me is of great value more than the weight of Gold and Silver. . Life is greater than anything one has discovered outside of life. You will for example notice a freeway if people would drive in the speed limit would share the lanes. Life can be just like that if we count everyone than just ourselves. For after all we donít live in this world alone. .
Adyssa
Jan20-13, 06:54 PM
P: 186
I would delete the 80s. Bad haircuts, bad clothes, bad music, we have nothing to lose!
zoobyshoe
Jan20-13, 08:55 PM
P: 5,616
Quote Quote by Adyssa View Post
I would delete the 80s. Bad haircuts, bad clothes, bad music, we have nothing to lose!
You must mean the 70's. The 80's were great!
Drakkith
Jan20-13, 10:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 10,992
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Let's just delete all the decades!
Mentalist
Jan21-13, 12:38 AM
P: 32
I will play along. I would delete the 00's.
Ivan Seeking
Jan21-13, 12:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,492
Well, yeah, if you were a 70's wannabe.
Evo
Jan21-13, 02:35 AM
Mentor
P: 25,911
I loved 80's music.
zoobyshoe
Jan21-13, 12:59 PM
P: 5,616
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I loved 80's music.
Me too. There are kids who weren't even there who have 80's music parties. The 80's fabric colors and patterns are also making a comeback, I've noticed.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/580....284955524.jpg
Evo
Jan21-13, 01:03 PM
Mentor
Me too. There are kids who weren't even there who have 80's music parties. The 80's fabric colors and patterns are also making a comeback, I've noticed.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/580....284955524.jpg
My girl's love 80's music.
Drakkith
Jan21-13, 11:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 10,992
My girl's love 80's music.
My buddy had his 9 year old son come home one day and say "Hey dad! Listen to this awesome new song!". His son plays him the song and it's a song from like Led Zepplin I think. My buddy was like "Son, that song is older than I am!"
Jobrag
Jan22-13, 06:29 AM
P: 459
Godfather III, All three Star Wars prequells.
Dembadon
Jan22-13, 10:06 AM
PF Gold
P: 638
I don't like messing with things I can't predict the outcome of. I don't think it'd be a good idea.
Lisa!
Jan22-13, 02:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 971
Does the extinction of the dinosaurs count as a historical event?
martix
Jan22-13, 03:33 PM
P: 128
Sure it does :P

Dino pets for everyone!

And I have no idea what religion would develop.
I seem to remember the Islam world was a center of learning in those early ages.

Though on the other hand you could say we are programmed to be religious(being all pattern-seeking, why-asking machines).
Czcibor
Jan22-13, 03:50 PM
P: 64
Quote Quote by martix View Post
And I have no idea what religion would develop.
I seem to remember the Islam world was a center of learning in those early ages.
I would more blame collapse of Western Roman Empire, than Christianity. After all in the mean time there was quite civilized Byzantium while in barbaric Europe, monks were few literate people who copied some old books.

Though on the other hand you could say we are programmed to be religious(being all pattern-seeking, why-asking machines).
I would say, that there is such need in humans, and Christianity keeps incumbent effect.

I have doubts about appearance of Islam as we know it, Mohamed was somewhat inspired by Christianity, he accepted Jesus (Isa) as one of prophets.

If have to guess - there was a good chance to build a monotheistic religion, maybe a different one a while later

Even Judaism would look different, partially Talmud was written in some kind opposition towards Christianity.
Evo
Jan22-13, 03:57 PM
Mentor
Even though the Op used religion as an example, let's stay away from religion as people tend to get upset if their beliefs are challenged.
martix
Jan22-13, 04:13 PM
P: 128
Even though the Op used religion as an example, let's stay away from religion as people tend to get upset if their beliefs are challenged.
VERY good idea.
My only contention is that all organized religion is obsolete by now.

P.s. I think the Dino idea was the most someone has gone back in time. And most people never even go back ealier than the 1900s.
I wonder if it's bacause they think they have a better idea of what will happen with recent-er events or it simply didn't occur to them there was history before that too. :P

Register to reply