Spin Geometry: Introduction & Overview

In summary: It has a nice intro to spinors and spin structures tooIn summary, the conversation involves the topic of spin geometry and its relation to quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and general relativity. The red book "Spin Geometry" by Lawson and Michelson is mentioned as a complex read, and the conversation raises two questions: 1) What is spin geometry and how does it relate to quantum gravity? 2) Is there a simpler introduction to the subject and are there any important mathematics that should be grasped beforehand? The conversation also mentions a related topic of torsion and its role in avoiding singularities in cosmology. Suggestions for further reading and resources are also provided.
Kontilera
Hello!
I have done some quantum mechanics, quantum field theory and general relativity. Not much, but enough to say that I have the big picture. Aside from this I have read about analysis on manifolds, functional analysis, Lie algebras and topology.
Now there is a red book in my bookshelf that goes by the name of Spin Geometry by Lawson and Michelson and it is still to complex for me to grasp what it is about.

This leaves basically two questions,
i) What is spin geometry, does it have anything to do with quantum gravity?
ii) Let's say it is a really interesting subject, is there any easier introduction to the subject that I should start with instead? Have I missed any important mathematics that I should grasp before?

Physics news on Phys.org
I recently posted about what appears to be a related subject:
[in the Cosmology forum as my interest was in high density big bang conditions.]

Can torsion avoid the big bang singularity

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=664451&highlight=torsion+cosmology

If your SPIN GEOMETRY involves the coupling between Dirac spinors and geometric torsion, this could offer some insights... and a number of possible avenues for further reading. [I never heard of this before I posted and don't remember how I stumbled across it, so what little I learned is in the post.]

...we show that extending Einstein’s general relativity to include the intrinsic angular momentum (spin) of matter, which leads to the Einstein-Cartan-Kibble-Sciama (ECKS) theory of gravity, naturally explains why the Universe is spatially flat, homogeneous and isotropic, without invoking inflation. We also propose that the torsion of spacetime, which is produced by the spin of quarks and leptons filling the Universe and prevents the formation of singularities (points of spacetime with infinite curvature and matter density), provides a physical mechanism for a scenario in which each collapsing black hole gives birth to a new universe inside it. Gravitational repulsion induced by torsion, which becomes significant at extremely high densities, prevents the cosmological singularity...

Consider a spin-1/2 particle in a trap. If you rotate the trap through 2π rad of space, the spin vector only gets rotated through π rad. This is explained in most intro QM classes. Spin geometry attempts to build a geometry that contains this kind of thing. The goal of that inquiry is to rigorously probe all the different quirky things spin can do using geometric tools. I think for a physicist spin geometry is not something you would consider a useful tool. If you do want to learn it I would tear through all the differential geometry and differential topology you can find. After that, you may possibly acquire enough skill to actually read the spin book.

I was reminded: You know spin networks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_networks#In_the_context_of_loop_quantum_gravity

The wiki explanation is not particularly interesting, but in THREE ROADS TO QUANTUM GRAVITY Lee Smolin does a nice job of explaining how a spin network structure generates discrete spacetime...and links them to Wilson+ Polyakov quantized loops without any field
dependence...each spin network can be associated with a possible quantum state for the geometry of space...
all in Chapter 10...

As I understand it seems like a "mathematical detour" without any distict goal regarding physics... I remember that I mailed a quite famous physicists some years ago and asked about the subject of Hestenes' geometric algebra (about its relevance and meaning) whereby he answered that it was not something new or original, instead he advised me to look up spin geometry.

Unfortunatly I think the subject lost some of its appealing mystique. :(

Kontilera said:
As I understand it seems like a "mathematical detour" without any distict goal regarding physics... I remember that I mailed a quite famous physicists some years ago and asked about the subject of Hestenes' geometric algebra (about its relevance and meaning) whereby he answered that it was not something new or original, instead he advised me to look up spin geometry.

Unfortunatly I think the subject lost some of its appealing mystique. :(

The topic of the book "Spin geometry" by Lawson, Michelson has (nearly) nothing to do with spin networks of LQG. It is a pure math book about the concept of a spin structure on a smooth manifold. It try to answer questions like: "When does a spin structure on a manifold exists?" or "What are the geometrical and topological consequences that a Dirac operator exists?" With these methods, one undrestands which manifolds carry a metric of positive scalar curvature etc.
But an advice: start with a simplier book like Nakahara: Geometry, Topology and physics

1. What is spin geometry?

Spin geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric structures on manifolds using tools from representation theory and differential geometry. It provides a framework for understanding the behavior of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) in quantum mechanics.

2. How does spin geometry relate to physics?

Spin geometry has many applications in physics, particularly in particle physics and quantum field theory. It helps to describe the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, and plays a crucial role in understanding phenomena such as spin-orbit coupling and the spin-statistics theorem.

3. What are some key concepts in spin geometry?

Some key concepts in spin geometry include spinors, spin structures, spin connections, and spinor bundles. These concepts are used to describe the geometric properties of spinor fields, which are essential in studying fermionic particles in quantum mechanics.

4. How is spin geometry used in other areas of mathematics?

Spin geometry has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, topology, and differential geometry. It has also been used to study the geometry of spacetime in general relativity, and to develop new techniques in differential topology and index theory.

5. What are some current research topics in spin geometry?

Some current research topics in spin geometry include the study of spinorial structures on non-compact manifolds, the development of new methods for computing spinorial invariants, and the investigation of the connections between spin geometry and other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic topology and symplectic geometry.