Galaxy viewed in naked eye

by shounakbhatta
Tags: galaxy, naked, viewed
Share this thread:
shounakbhatta
Jan21-13, 10:35 AM
P: 268
Hello,

If I am not wrong, I think that no galaxy can be viewed from Earth with naked eye, right?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
New mass map of a distant galaxy cluster is the most precise yet
Highest-precision measurement of water in planet outside the solar system
Satellite galaxies put astronomers in a spin
George Jones
Jan21-13, 10:39 AM
Mentor
P: 6,226
The two Magellanic Clouds can be seen easily in the southern hemisphere. In the northern hemisphere, I have see the Andromeda Galaxy, M31, many times.
Drakkith
Jan21-13, 10:49 AM
Mentor
P: 11,498
George is correct. Some people claim to be able to *barely* see Messier 33 from pristine dark sky locations with the naked eye.

Kevin Willis
Jan23-13, 10:59 AM
P: 20
Galaxy viewed in naked eye

A month ago here in Florida, my astronomy club and I were on a trip to possibly the least light polluted place in Florida and we could clearly see Andromeda and a few other faint objects (can't remember what the others were). Newbie astronomer here trying to get some hands on experience before I get to the university to continue my educational path in astrophysics.
Borek
Jan23-13, 11:38 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
Each time I go outside at the night I see the Galaxy in the sky. Not sure what the problem is.
Kevin Willis
Jan23-13, 12:14 PM
P: 20
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Each time I go outside at the night I see the Galaxy in the sky. Not sure what the problem is.
The problem is that most of the worlds population is not able to do that. Light pollution and weather are the major reasons people can't see most of the sky. I live in a city where on our best nights we can see only the major constellations. Deep sky viewing even from my 12 inch DOB is unattainable. I'm suprized you don't realize that most of the population lives in cities where light pollution is so bad you can not see Andromeda with the naked eye.
Borek
Jan23-13, 12:58 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by Kevin Willis View Post
The problem is that most of the worlds population is not able to do that. Light pollution and weather are the major reasons people can't see most of the sky. I live in a city where on our best nights we can see only the major constellations. Deep sky viewing even from my 12 inch DOB is unattainable. I'm suprized you don't realize that most of the population lives in cities where light pollution is so bad you can not see Andromeda with the naked eye.
I live in the city as well. I am surprised you don't see the Galaxy.
mfb
Jan23-13, 01:28 PM
Mentor
P: 11,576
I see a part of a galaxy even in closed rooms! But I think that was not the type of "view a galaxy" shounakbhatta meant.
turbo
Jan23-13, 01:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Where I live, it is very easy to see Andromeda on a clear night. Also, if you allow your eyes to get dark-adapted and use averted vision, M33 is naked-eye, but tougher.
Drakkith
Jan23-13, 04:02 PM
Mentor
P: 11,498
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
I live in the city as well. I am surprised you don't see the Galaxy.
I cannot see M31 from the last 3 places I have lived at. A combination of light pollution and nearby lights that keep me from getting dark adapted.
shounakbhatta
Jan24-13, 09:40 AM
Actually the place where I live, when I try to gaze at the night sky (it should be during New Moon). there are so much light from the nearby building, light posts that I hardly could point out a galaxy. I could the small and the large bear. Also, my problem is that I cannot exactly point out which one is the galaxy.

For me pollution and lights are a factor which prevents me to watch something clearly.
Borek
Jan24-13, 09:45 AM
Admin
Whenever I see any star I know I see the Galaxy, I fail to understand how you fail to see one.
shounakbhatta
Jan24-13, 09:46 AM
Another question. As Canis Major Dwarf & Sagittarius Dwarf sph are the nearest galaxies to Milky way, can anybody view it in naked eye? Or is it due to low luminosity one cannot see it?
shounakbhatta
Jan24-13, 09:48 AM
Yes I also do see a lot of stars, but how can that mean it can be in a galaxy and rather which galaxy?
Borek
Jan24-13, 09:59 AM
Admin
You have never stated which galaxy you want to see.
shounakbhatta
Jan24-13, 10:04 AM
Andromeda
Canis Major Dwarf
& Sagittarius Dwarf sph
phinds
Jan24-13, 10:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,083
Quote Quote by shounakbhatta View Post
Yes I also do see a lot of stars, but how can that mean it can be in a galaxy and rather which galaxy?
We LIVE in a galaxy ... the Milky Way. Every star you can see at night is part of the Milky Way galaxy.
shounakbhatta
Jan24-13, 12:45 PM
Yes, I know that. I am trying to post a question, how could I see other galaxies in naked eye looking into the night sky, like Andromeda etc.

Register to reply