Why does this reaction happen?

by jaumzaum
Tags: happen, reaction
jaumzaum
Jan23-13, 06:05 PM
P: 246
For we to obtain metallic magnesium from sea water we can precipitate it in the form of magnesium hydroxide if we add calcium hydroxide:

Mg2+ + Ca(OH)2 → Mg(OH)2 + Ca2+

Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
Woopydalan
Jan23-13, 07:36 PM
P: 746
Have you checked the usual suspects? Such as being favored thermodynamically or an increase in entropy?
jaumzaum
Jan23-13, 07:41 PM
Quote Quote by Woopydalan View Post
Have you checked the usual suspects? Such as being favored thermodynamically or an increase in entropy?

Hi Woopydalan.
Actually I would like a more qualitative explanation, not a quantitative one. If you had no numbers like the entalpy/entropy/gibbs energy of the substances, how would you explain that a reaction like this would happen?

Woopydalan
Jan23-13, 07:52 PM
P: 746

The qualitative answer is that it is favored by thermodynamics to happen or there is an increase in entropy. Whether or not you had the values at your disposal would not really matter. That is how you would explain it happening. I know you are looking for another answer, but simply that is the reason reactions occur.

It's like asking ''Why is a banana yellow?'' the answer would be ''It doesn't absorb wavelengths between 570-590 nm'' but then you say ''well what if I don't know the wavelength of yellow light, then how do I explain it?'' then my response would follow ''It doesn't absorb yellow light.''
Ygggdrasil
Jan23-13, 08:12 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,342
Try looking up the solubility (specifically, the solubility product constant Ksp) for each of these substances.
jaumzaum
Jan23-13, 09:34 PM
Quote Quote by Ygggdrasil View Post
Try looking up the solubility (specifically, the solubility product constant Ksp) for each of these substances.
I thought the solubility could have something to do with it, but I still cannot explain it. Actually the calcium hydroxide is much more soluble than the magnesium one.

Solubility of magnesium hydroxide is 1.4mg/L while solubility of calcium hydroxide is 1.73g/L at 20 C
The Ksp are 1.5 10-11 for magnesium and 4.68 10-6 for calcium

How can I explain it now, knowing that Mg(OH)2 is much less soluble than Ca(OH)2
Borek
Jan24-13, 02:28 AM
Admin
P: 22,708
Calculate concentrations of Ca2+ and OH- in the saturated solution of Ca(OH)2.

Introduce any magnesium salt in such an amount concentration of Mg2+ becomes the same as concentration of Ca2+.

What will happen now?
jaumzaum
Jan24-13, 11:10 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Calculate concentrations of Ca2+ and OH- in the saturated solution of Ca(OH)2.

Introduce any magnesium salt in such an amount concentration of Mg2+ becomes the same as concentration of Ca2+.

What will happen now?
Actually when I was trying to find the concentration of Ca2+ I've got another doubt.

When I try to find the Ksp from the solubility, I get an absurd result.

solubility of calcium hydroxide is 1.85g/L at 0C, that is 2.5 10-2M
Ca(OH)2 → Ca2+ + 2OH-
2.5 10-2-----0-------0------
---0-----2.5 10-2----5. 10-2

Ksp = 4 (2.5 10-2)3 = 6.25 10-5 that is different from the Ksp0C = 8 10-6

Why does this happen?

And answering your question. Mg2+ would precipitate as it it less soluble than Ca2+. But what does this have to do with the first question?
Borek
Jan24-13, 11:39 AM
Admin
Solubility of Ca(OH)2 is higher than that predicted by Ksp alone, as Ca2+ gets complexed by OH-.

Quote Quote by jaumzaum View Post
And answering your question. Mg2+ would precipitate as it it less soluble than Ca2+. But what does this have to do with the first question?
And you still don't see that it means the reaction proceeds to the right?
jaumzaum
Jan24-13, 11:55 AM
Solubility of Ca(OH)2 is higher than that predicted by Ksp alone, as Ca2+ gets complexed by OH-.

And you still don't see that it means the reaction proceeds to the right?
Not yet, haha :(
Could you explain it to me? (I'm not very good in chemistry...)
Borek
Jan24-13, 01:09 PM
Admin
To be honest, I have no idea how to help you further. You have came to the right conclusion that when there are two weakly soluble salts competing for an anion (or cation, doesn't matter), reaction will proceed in such a way that the less soluble salt will be the main product. That's exactly what is happening here.
jaumzaum
Jan24-13, 02:22 PM
To be honest, I have no idea how to help you further. You have came to the right conclusion that when there are two weakly soluble salts competing for an anion (or cation, doesn't matter), reaction will proceed in such a way that the less soluble salt will be the main product. That's exactly what is happening here.
But sea water isn't saturated of calcium, it is saturated of magnsium. And we are not adding Mg(OH)2, we are adding CaOH2

I don't see the equivalence
Borek
Jan24-13, 04:10 PM
Admin
Will writing the reaction as

Mg2+ + 2OH- -> Mg(OH)2

help?
Ygggdrasil
Jan24-13, 11:04 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,342
Perhaps it is helpful to think of things in terms of energy as Woopydalan suggested. Based on the Ksp values, you require 28 kJ/mol of free energy to break Ca(OH)2 into Ca2+ and two OH-, but forming Mg(OH)2 from Mg2+ and two OH- releases 57 kJ/mol of free energy (under standard conditions). Therefore, breaking apart calcium hydroxide and using the hydroxide ions to form magnesium hydroxide gives an overall decrease in the free energy of the system, and therefore, the reaction is thermodynamically favorable.

Register to reply