Register to reply

Galaxy viewed in naked eye

by shounakbhatta
Tags: galaxy, naked, viewed
Share this thread:
Bandersnatch
Jan24-13, 04:14 PM
P: 741
You need to go someplace where you can easily discern the band of Milky Way in the sky. Andromeda looks almost like just another fuzzy patch of the MW, so if you can see one, you should be able to see the other, off the corner of you eye at least.
It's really nothing spectacular, you know. Don't expect miniature Hubble pictures.

I don't know about CMa Dwarf, but the wiki lists Sag Dwarf's apparent magnitude as 4.5, so at least in principle it should be visible to a naked eye (generally the limit for an unaided human eye is considered to be around 6th magnitude, but the fuzziness of galaxies makes them a bit harder to see, to me at least).
Drakkith
Jan24-13, 04:39 PM
Mentor
P: 12,013
Quote Quote by Bandersnatch View Post
I don't know about CMa Dwarf, but the wiki lists Sag Dwarf's apparent magnitude as 4.5, so at least in principle it should be visible to a naked eye (generally the limit for an unaided human eye is considered to be around 6th magnitude, but the fuzziness of galaxies makes them a bit harder to see, to me at least).
The Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy lies mostly on the opposite side of the galactic core and is very faint because of this. You cannot see it with your naked eye.

As for the Canis major Dwarf Galaxy, it is so close that it is spread over a 12x12 degree area of sky and as such is not visible to the naked eye.(Or at least not as a singular object) This is a huge area. The full moon is 0.5 by 0.5 degrees and the Andromeda Galaxy is about 3x1 degree in area.

Register to reply