Sigmeth
Jan25-13, 06:32 PM
P: 2
Click image for larger version

Name:	prelab 1 contour.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	55005
Sorry for any errors in posting, this is my first thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
a.)On the contour map that is attached, find the magnitude of the electric field at each point A, B, and C.
b.)Calculate the work done in moving a 1C positive charge from point A to point B.

2. Relevant equations

For a.) E=dV/dx Change in potential between bounding equipotential lines/length of the line between bounding equipotentials.
For b.) W=qΔV
3. The attempt at a solution

For a.) I can find the electric fields at points A and B, but I am not sure how to find point C. Since it is surrounded by the 180, does this mean the magnitude of the electric field at point C is zero? Also, I am not sure the direction of the electric field at point C. I know it is from high potential to low potential.
For b.) Using W=qΔV, I have W=(1C)(180-170). I feel as though I am way off. Does it matter that the lines are not uniform?
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Simon Bridge
Jan25-13, 10:09 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 10,916
For a.) I can find the electric fields at points A and B, but I am not sure how to find point C. Since it is surrounded by the 180, does this mean the magnitude of the electric field at point C is zero?
Treat it like a geography contour map - would you expect point C to be on top of a hill?
I think this is a judgement call - whatever you decide, you'll have to justify it with some kind of argument.

Also, I am not sure the direction of the electric field at point C. I know it is from high potential to low potential.
If the magnitude is zero - does it matter?
If it is not, then the direction is towards the nearest lower potential line.
To see what I mean - try sketching in equipotential lines for 182 and 184 and 186 Volts.

For b.) Using W=qΔV, I have W=(1C)(180-170). I feel as though I am way off. Does it matter that the lines are not uniform?
Consider - the electric field is conservative. What does that mean about the path you choose?
Sigmeth
Jan26-13, 02:58 AM
P: 2
I guess the issue I am having with C is that I need to examine the magnitudes of the electric fields at each point to determine a convenient scale to show the electric fields as vectors on the map (This is my fault in not including in the original problem). This is why I am having issues with the magnitude at point C being zero. I have for point A, (170-160)/1.2= 8.3. Point B I have (190-180)/0.5= 20. (Both answers being in V/cm).---I am assuming that the magnitude for C equals zero because the field line does not increase past 180 (Like being on top of a hill). So the issue I am having is that any convenient scale I draw for V/cm will contradict any line I draw for the electric field for point C.

As for part B, I am thinking that the fact that the lines are not uniform does not matter since the electric field is conservative.

haruspex
Jan26-13, 04:15 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,142

Electric potential and Field Lines

Quote Quote by Sigmeth View Post
As for part B, I am thinking that the fact that the lines are not uniform does not matter since the electric field is conservative.
Yes, but I don't think your 180-170 is quite right. Looks to me that each is about half way between two contour lines.
Simon Bridge
Jan26-13, 04:51 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 10,916
to determine a convenient scale to show the electric fields as vectors on the map
You don't have to draw the vectors to scale.
I am assuming that the magnitude for C equals zero because the field line does not increase past 180
You don't know that though do you - since the next equipotential line is drawn at 190 ... all you know is that the hill does not climb as high as that. It could peak at, say, 189 ... or, it could be that the 180 line around point C is the highest ridge and there is a shallow crater there that goes as low as 171 (say). You need to use your understanding of electric charges to figure out what is likely - but you still have to make a guess.

For part (b) - consider that you have figured out the potential at points A and B in part (a) and how, the field being conservative, the path you choose from A to B affects the amount of work needed.

Register to reply