Find the electric field of a long line charge at a radial distance

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field of a long line charge at a radial distance where the potential is 24V higher than at a radial distance r_1=3m where E=4V/m. The answer to this problem is 29.5V/m. The integral to calculate the potential at r=3 diverges, so the individual apologizes for not reading a related article before posting the question. The solution involves calculating the linear charge density and using it to do an integral over finite limits in order to find the potential difference of 24V.
noowutah
TL;DR Summary: Find the electric field of a long line charge at a radial distance where the potential is 24V higher than at a radial distance r_1=3m where E=4V/m. Answer: 29.5V/m.

Never mind: I retract this question. The integral apparently is supposed to diverge! I apologize for not reading https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/407797/potential-due-to-line-charge before I posted my question.

I am reading the book Electromagnetics with Applications by Kraus and Fleisch and have run into a snag with Problem 2-3-4.

Find the electric field of a long line charge at a radial distance where the potential is 24V higher than at a radial distance r_1=3m where E=4V/m. Answer: 29.5V/m.

For a line charge, the electric field is

render001.png

(rho_L is the linear charge density). Since we know E_r=4 at r=3, we can calculate rho_L=6.7*10^-10. To calculate the potential at r=3, I use

render002.png

but this integral diverges ... where did I go wrong? \hat{r} is the unit vector orthogonal to the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you even bother to consider the point at infinity? The problem is essentially asking you to do an integral over finite limits that you will give the potential difference of 24 V.

If, as your title implies, you have a solution, please post it here so that others can profit from it.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and SammyS

1. What is a long line charge?

A long line charge is a hypothetical line of charge that extends infinitely in both directions. It is used in physics to simplify calculations for electric fields and other related phenomena.

2. How does the electric field of a long line charge differ from that of a point charge?

The electric field of a long line charge is dependent on the distance from the charge, whereas the electric field of a point charge is dependent on the inverse square of the distance. This means that the electric field of a long line charge decreases at a slower rate than that of a point charge.

3. What is the formula for finding the electric field of a long line charge at a radial distance?

The formula for finding the electric field of a long line charge at a radial distance is E = λ / (2πε₀r), where λ is the linear charge density, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the radial distance from the charge.

4. How does the electric field of a long line charge change as the radial distance increases?

The electric field of a long line charge decreases as the radial distance increases, but at a slower rate than that of a point charge. This means that the electric field is strongest at smaller distances and becomes weaker as the distance increases.

5. What is the direction of the electric field of a long line charge at a radial distance?

The direction of the electric field of a long line charge is always perpendicular to the line of charge and points away from the charge if the charge is positive, and towards the charge if the charge is negative. This is true at all radial distances from the charge.