How about a Crackpot Forum?

by 2112rush2112
Tags: crackpot
Share this thread:
Ibix
Jan26-13, 02:53 PM
P: 378
Quote Quote by Don Quijote View Post
Just one question: if you don't discuss any new idea what are you doing there? Just helping kids to do their homeworks?
Learning and discussing real science - which does include new ideas. As long as it's been published in a reputable journal, it's fine. You can even discuss a completely new unpublished idea if you're careful, by asking questions around the edges of existing science.

What you can't do is talk nonsense, which is what crackpots do.
2112rush2112
Jan26-13, 06:36 PM
P: 21
Quote Quote by Don Quijote View Post
Just one question: if you don't discuss any new idea what are you doing there? Just helping kids to do their homeworks?
Boy, you Mods nixed this dude like so fast it made his head spin! :)

Anyways. I think guys like Dr. Quantum and like-minded crackpots are hilarious. And I'm no fan of Rush Limbaugh (yuck), but decades back, he had a crackpot occasionally call on the show who came up with all kinds of crazy political conspiracy theories; this forum can use something like that here, because that crackpot that did call Limbaugh kinda lent an air of levity and hilarity to an otherwise serious talk show.
I'd listen to the program just hoping the person would call again so I (and the other listeners) would get a good laugh...

...lol crackpots...
Drakkith
Jan26-13, 06:45 PM
Mentor
P: 11,596
Quote Quote by 2112rush2112 View Post

Anyways. I think guys like Dr. Quantum and like-minded crackpots are hilarious. And I'm no fan of Rush Limbaugh (yuck), but decades back, he had a crackpot occasionally call on the show who came up with all kinds of crazy political conspiracy theories; this forum can use something like that here, because that crackpot that did call Limbaugh kinda lent an air of levity and hilarity to an otherwise serious talk show.
I'd listen to the program just hoping the person would call again so I (and the other listeners) would get a good laugh...

...lol crackpots...
Except that this isn't a radio program and having people post absolute nonsense is against everything PF stands for. Besides, it's a waste of time for the members and mods to try to work with these people. You don't think they are simply going to post in a forum named "Crackpots Post Here" do you? No, they are going to post on the main forums and cause an uproar. Banning them is the ONLY viable solution because they don't listen to reason and are obsessed with their own ideas.
2112rush2112
Jan26-13, 06:47 PM
P: 21
Quote Quote by Snow-Leopard View Post
Can one here create a blog on his crackpot ideas?
Heck, I can be the Moderator of the crackpot forum. My signature? "I shall continue to ban IP addresses until morale improves!"
ZapperZ
Jan26-13, 09:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by 2112rush2112 View Post

...lol crackpots...
Y'know, there's nothing to prevent you from pursuing your "hobby". Just go to Usenet and SciForums and knock yourself out.

Zz.
Drakkith
Jan26-13, 10:27 PM
Mentor
P: 11,596
I think the topic has been answered well enough. Requesting a lock so more people don't come in trying to defend crackpots or suggest we open a forum for them.
Evo
Jan26-13, 10:34 PM
Mentor
P: 26,477
Done.

Register to reply