Create a Bologna Forum in Sci-Fi Section: 10% Fallacies Corrected

• Thread starter CalcNerd
  • Start date
In summary, I think it would be best for the forum if Greg's threads were relocated to the Bologna forum. This will allow others to offer help and education to Greg, or simply let him fester.
CalcNerd
Education Advisor
Gold Member
And it could be a sub forum in the Sci-fi section. I have noticed Greg and several senior staff members close posts (and I agree, nearly everyone of them was offering large helpings of Bologna). However, they may believe themselves and feel censored.

I feel that if you relocate their threads to the Bologna forum, others can try to educate them, or simply let them fester in that section. I admit you may be providing a forum for crackpots, but it will be labeled as such to the casual visitor and noted as NOT a place to get genuine proven science.

And every so often, a crackpot may jest absorb some knowledge or education and move past their misguided beliefs (I feel even a 10% correction of fallacies to be worth the forum)

Physics news on Phys.org
We did have a "Bologna" forum for about 8 years. It didn't work out. PF's mission is one of quality. We are much better off now. Trust me :smile:

Likes gracy
CalcNerd said:
I feel even a 10% correction of fallacies to be worth the forum

It was more like 0.001%.

Funny thing about bologna-grinders, they don't think of themselves as bologna-grinders. So they don't tend to stay in the bologna shop.

PF has a long history of trying to support them, but as others have pointed out, it just does not work out. What it did do, was drive away a lot of bologna-adverse members.

There are lots of fora out there that do support them. They can go there.

Likes jim mcnamara and Evo
CalcNerd, as the others have already pointed out it doesn't work. The suggestion is made with great regularity and that horse has been beaten, shot, stabbed, decapitated, poisoned, and severely kicked. It is dead. I suggest a forum search.

As a something of a connoisseur of the uh, subject matter, I'd like to ask where does the 'Bologna' and/or 'Bologna grinder' come from, etymologically speaking. Never heard of it used in such a context before.

Bandersnatch said:
As a something of a connoisseur of the uh, subject matter, I'd like to ask where does the 'Bologna' and/or 'Bologna grinder' come from, etymologically speaking. Never heard of it used in such a context before.

Balogna? As in baloney? Like, "you're full of baloney"?

Likes Bandersnatch
Drakkith said:
Balogna? As in baloney? Like, "you're full of baloney"?

I hate you people...

Salami, Salami, Baloney.
The Word Detective
January, 1999
It is pretty well established that "baloney," meaning nonsense, does come from "baloney" the sausage (which is indeed named after Bologna, Italy). Baloney was (and often still is) regarded as a humble food of, as you say, dubious origins. It thus made a good metaphor for "junk" much as today we use "spam" (fairly or not) to mean unwanted e-mail advertisements. One of the earliest uses of "baloney" to mean nonsense was in the catch phrase "It's baloney no matter how thin you slice it," popular in the 1930's.

Likes Bandersnatch
Bandersnatch said:
Well, bologna-extruder sounded even less appetizing.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, bologna-extruder sounded even less appetizing.
Yuck !

Making sausage is like politics. You really don't want to see what goes inside it. ?:)

Likes dlgoff
Thank you all for taking time to respond. I have seen a few posters already who have argued from bad positions, get good feedback, and then still fail to follow up on provided explanations contrary to their beliefs (head in sand syndrome?). So, I can understand the frustration.

1. What is a Bologna Forum?

A Bologna Forum is a discussion platform where individuals can share and exchange ideas, opinions, and information related to science fiction and the sci-fi genre. It is named after the city of Bologna in Italy, where the world's first university was founded, and is meant to evoke the idea of a place for intellectual discourse and debate.

2. Why is a Bologna Forum needed in the Sci-Fi Section?

A Bologna Forum is needed in the Sci-Fi Section to promote critical thinking and debunk misconceptions in the sci-fi genre. It provides a space for individuals to engage in informed discussions and correct fallacies that may perpetuate in popular culture.

3. How will the 10% fallacies be identified and corrected?

The 10% fallacies in the Sci-Fi Section will be identified through thorough research and analysis by the forum's members. They will then provide evidence-based arguments and correct any misconceptions by citing reliable sources and engaging in open discussions.

4. Who can participate in the Bologna Forum?

Anyone with an interest in science fiction and a desire to engage in critical thinking and discussion can participate in the Bologna Forum. It is open to all individuals, regardless of their level of knowledge or expertise in the genre.

5. How can I join the Bologna Forum?

You can join the Bologna Forum by registering on the platform and following the guidelines set by the forum's moderators. It is important to familiarize yourself with the forum's rules and etiquette to ensure productive and respectful discussions.