Register to reply

When is the kernel of a linear operator closed?

by AxiomOfChoice
Tags: kernel, linear, operator
Share this thread:
AxiomOfChoice
Jan26-13, 05:10 PM
P: 529
If you consider a bounded linear operator between two Hausdorff topological vector spaces, isn't the kernel *always* closed? I mean, if you assume singleton sets are closed, then the set [itex]\{0\}[/itex] in the image is closed, so that means [itex]T^{-1}(\{0\})[/itex] is closed, right (since T is assumed continuous)? I keep finding these weird provisos all over the Internet (see, for instance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(linear_algebra)) that require the target space to be finite-dimensional, and I don't see why this is a necessary hypothesis.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
micromass
Jan27-13, 11:15 AM
Mentor
P: 18,345
You are right, if [itex]T:V\rightarrow W[/itex] is continuous and if W is Hausdorff, then [itex]T^{-1}({0})[/itex] is always closed.

Why the weird proviso's like finite-dimensional? Well, because the result in the wiki is an iff statement. So the statement in the theorem also says that if [itex]T^{-1}(\{0\})[/itex] is closed, then T is continuous. This is not true in general but only if W is finite dimensional!

Register to reply