On Group Actions !

by Maths Lover
Tags: actions
Share this thread:
Maths Lover
Jan28-13, 07:01 PM
P: 62
hi ,

this result is from text , Abstract Algebra by Dummit and foote .
page 120

the result says , if G is a finite group of order n , p is the smallest prime dividing the order of G , then , any subgroup H of G whose index is p is normal

and the text gave the proof of this result , but a part of this proof is not obivous for me !

this part is ,all prime divisors (p-1)! are less than p .

why is this true ?!!

can anyone explain plz ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Number Nine
Jan28-13, 07:26 PM
P: 772
all prime divisors (p-1)! are less than p
Do you mean that all prime divisors of (p-1)! are less than p? Are you familiar with the fundamental theorem of arithmetic? It follows immediately from what (p-1)! is that no prime larger than p can be a divisor. Write it out in full; is p in there anywhere?
Maths Lover
Jan28-13, 07:30 PM
Quote Quote by Number Nine View Post
Do you mean that all prime divisors of (p-1)! are less than p? Are you familiar with the fundamental theorem of arithmetic? It follows immediately from what (p-1)! is that no prime larger than p can be a divisor. Write it out in full; is p in there anywhere?
yes , i'm familiar with it !
can you explain how does this follows from the fundamental theorem of arithmetic ?

Number Nine
Jan28-13, 09:13 PM
On Group Actions !

Quote Quote by Maths Lover View Post
yes , i'm familiar with it !
can you explain how does this follows from the fundamental theorem of arithmetic ?
It follows from the definition of the factorial. Write out the expansion of (p-1)!; p does not appear anywhere in the factorization. How could it? You're multiplying together a bunch of numbers less than p. None of them are going to multiply together to form p (it's prime).
Maths Lover
Jan28-13, 09:20 PM
It follows from the definition of the factorial. Write out the expansion of (p-1)!; p does not appear anywhere in the factorization. How could it? You're multiplying together a bunch of numbers less than p. None of them are going to multiply together to form p (it's prime).
take this example !
6 can't divide 3,4,5
but 6 can divide 3*4*5= 60

p can't divide any factor but maybe it can do this with some products of them like the example above ! why not ??
Number Nine
Jan28-13, 09:48 PM
Quote Quote by Maths Lover View Post
take this example !
6 can't divide 3,4,5
but 6 can divide 3*4*5= 60

p can't divide any factor but maybe it can do this with some products of them like the example above ! why not ??
6 is not prime.
(p-1)! has a unique prime factorization. Write out the expansion of (p-1)!, as I said; p does not appear, nor is it a factor of any of the numbers that do appear. Again, review the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.
Maths Lover
Jan29-13, 01:16 PM
6 is not prime.
(p-1)! has a unique prime factorization. Write out the expansion of (p-1)!, as I said; p does not appear, nor is it a factor of any of the numbers that do appear. Again, review the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.
yes , i can understand it now :) thanx

Register to reply