Separable Polynomials - Dummit and Foote - Proposition 37

In summary, the author's irreducible polynomial ##P## is separable if and only if there is a the ##p-##th root for each element of ##P##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote : Abstract Algebra ...

I am trying to understand the proof of Proposition 37 in Section 13.5 Separable and Inseparable Extensions ...The Proposition 37 and its proof (note that the proof comes before the statement of the Proposition) read as follows:
?temp_hash=6dbe83814424bd9e74d92b99c61cd074.png

In the above text by D&F we read the following:

"If ##p(x)## were inseparable then we have seen that ##p(x) = q(x^p)## for some polynomial ##q(x) \in \mathbb{F} [x]##. ... ... "I cannot understand exactly why this is true ...Can someone please explain exactly why, as D&F assert, the following is true ... ...##p(x)## inseparable ## \ \ \Longrightarrow \ \ p(x) = q(x^p)## for some polynomial ##q(x) \in \mathbb{F} [x]##I cannot find where D&F establish exactly this implication ... but maybe there is some idea in the proof of Corollary 34 which reads as follows:

Corollary 36 may also be relevant ... so I am providing that as well ... as follows:

Hope someone can help explain the assertion by D&F mentioned above ..

Peter

Attachments

• D&F - Proposition 37 - Section 13.5 ... ... .png
    D&F - Proposition 37 - Section 13.5 ... ... .png
    42.6 KB · Views: 739
  • D&F - 1 - Corollary 34 - Section 13.5 - PART 1 ... ....png
    D&F - 1 - Corollary 34 - Section 13.5 - PART 1 ... ....png
    25.6 KB · Views: 549
  • D&F - 2 - Corollary 34 - Section 13.5 - PART 2 ... ....png
    D&F - 2 - Corollary 34 - Section 13.5 - PART 2 ... ....png
    42 KB · Views: 506
  • D&F - Corollary 36 - Section 13.5 ... ....png
    D&F - Corollary 36 - Section 13.5 ... ....png
    12.1 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the irreducible polynomial ##P##, to distinguish it from ##p##, the characteristic of ##F##.

Since ##P## is irreducible, it must either be co-prime with ##D_xP##, or else ##D_xP\equiv 0##

If co-prime then by Proposition 9 (quoted in the proof of Corollary 34), ##P## has no roots in common with any of the irreducible factors of ##D_xP##. Hence ##P## has no roots in common with ##D_xP##. Hence ##P## is separable.

So if ##P## is not separable, we must have ##D_xP\equiv 0##, which means that for each natural number ##k##, the ##k##th order coefficient in ##D_xP## must be zero. That coefficient is ##a_{k+1}(k+1)## where ##a_{k+1}## is the ##k##th order coefficient in ##P##. Since ##F## is a field there are no zero divisors, so either ##a_{k+1}=0_F## or ##(k+1)_F=0_F##. I have put subscripts into make clear we are operating in ##F##.

So for every term ##a_rx^r## of ##P## we must either have ##a_r=0## or else ##r=0\mod p##, in other words ##r=ps_r## for some natural number ##s_r##.

But then each nonzero term of ##P## will be of the form ##a_{ps_r}x^{ps_r}## which can be written ##a_{ps_r}(x^p)^s_r##. So ##P## is a finite linear combination of powers of ##x^p##, ie a polynomial in ##x^p##. That new polynomial is the author's ##q##.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ...

Just reflecting on what you have said ...

Peter

An interesting consequence of the above is that the counter-example I gave you a while back, of an irreducible, non-separable polynomial, was wrong!

##x^2+1## is indeed non-separable in ##\mathbb Z_2[x]##, but it is not irreducible, because it can be factorised as ##(x+1)^2##.

Putting together Corollary 34 and Proposition 37, we conclude that the only fields containing irreducible, non-separable polynomials are infinite fields with non-zero characteristic.

I think ##\mathbb Z_p(r)## for ##r## transcendental and ##p## prime, will be such fields, as they will have characteristic ##p>0## but will be infinite-dimensional vector spaces over ##\mathbb Z_p##, with basis ##\{r^k\ :\ r\in\mathbb Z,\ r\geq 0\}##.

Likes Math Amateur
Oh God ... and I thought I understood that example!

Thanks for pointing this out ...

Must go through the example again tomorrow...

Thanks again for correcting the record ...

Peter

andrewkirk said:
Putting together Corollary 34 and Proposition 37, we conclude that the only fields containing irreducible, non-separable polynomials are infinite fields with non-zero characteristic.
I've found the following criterion (van der Waerden):

A field of characteristic ##p## is perfect, i.e. every irreducible polynomial is separable, if and only if for each element there is a the ##p-##th root; or short ##F=F^p##.

This also excludes finite fields (by consideration of ##a \mapsto a^p##). So the easiest example of an inseparable field is ##F=F_p(t)## the field of rational functions (polynomials) in ##t## and ##x^p-t \in F[x]##. Characteristic zero fields, algebraic extensions (esp. the algebraic closure) of separable fields and Galois fields are all separable, so many "interesting" fields are separable.

1. What is a separable polynomial?

A separable polynomial is a polynomial in which its irreducible factors all have distinct roots. This means that the polynomial can be factored into linear factors with no repeated roots.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial is separable?

A polynomial is separable if and only if its derivative and itself share no common roots. This can be checked by using the Euclidean algorithm to calculate the greatest common divisor of the polynomial and its derivative. If the result is a constant, the polynomial is separable.

3. What is Proposition 37 in Dummit and Foote?

Proposition 37 in Dummit and Foote is a theorem that states every polynomial over a field of characteristic zero is separable. This means that every polynomial over a field with no characteristic can be factored into linear factors with no repeated roots.

4. Can a polynomial over a field of characteristic zero be inseparable?

No, a polynomial over a field of characteristic zero cannot be inseparable. This is because all polynomials over a field of characteristic zero are separable according to Proposition 37.

5. Are all polynomials over a field of characteristic zero separable?

Yes, all polynomials over a field of characteristic zero are separable. This is a direct result of Proposition 37, which states that every polynomial over a field of characteristic zero is separable.