Register to reply

The future of Radio Astronomy (your thoughts)

Share this thread:
NGC
Jan29-13, 02:56 AM
P: 4
Hello all,

I'm doing an extended project on "the future of radio astronomy".

And I would like to know people's opinions on the "future of radio astronomy" and what advancements the field of radio astronomy is expected to make in the future, current problems/projects, and any interesting facts you may know about the field.

If possible please link your sources as I need to make a biblography.

Thank you!

Peter
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mysterious molecules in space
Next-generation Thirty Meter Telescope begins construction in Hawaii
Comet Jacques makes a 'questionable' appearance
Bobbywhy
Jan29-13, 04:26 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,883
New discoveries are being made using radio astronomy as I write this. Scientists and engineers continue to develop new techniques for detection, receivers continue to become more sensitive, and large arrays improve the angular resolution of sources. These advances allow astrophysicists to learn more about our universe. The future outlook for increasing our scientific knowledge through radio astronomy is excellent. Here are a few papers describing some advances:

arXiv:1208.6180 Title: Mid-frequency aperture arrays: the future of radio astronomy
arXiv:1111.4909 Title: An overview of the current understanding of Gamma-ray Bursts in the Fermi era
arXiv:1111.1701 Title: Gravitational Waves and Time Domain Astronomy
arXiv:1111.1183 Title: Techniques of Radio Astronomy
arXiv:1008.2871 Title: Square Kilometre Array: a concept design for Phase 1
arXiv:1004.4279 Title: Big and Small
arXiv:astro-ph/0410225Title: The Exploration of the Unknown

Cheers,
Bobbyswhy
NGC
Jan29-13, 04:32 AM
P: 4
Quote Quote by Bobbywhy View Post
New discoveries are being made using radio astronomy as I write this. Scientists and engineers continue to develop new techniques for detection, receivers continue to become more sensitive, and large arrays improve the angular resolution of sources. These advances allow astrophysicists to learn more about our universe. The future outlook for increasing our scientific knowledge through radio astronomy is excellent. Here are a few papers describing some advances:

arXiv:1208.6180 Title: Mid-frequency aperture arrays: the future of radio astronomy
arXiv:1111.4909 Title: An overview of the current understanding of Gamma-ray Bursts in the Fermi era
arXiv:1111.1701 Title: Gravitational Waves and Time Domain Astronomy
arXiv:1111.1183 Title: Techniques of Radio Astronomy
arXiv:1008.2871 Title: Square Kilometre Array: a concept design for Phase 1
arXiv:1004.4279 Title: Big and Small
arXiv:astro-ph/0410225Title: The Exploration of the Unknown

Cheers,
Bobbyswhy

Thank you!

That looks excellent, I will review the journals as soon as I get home.

Peter

Chronos
Jan29-13, 12:05 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,377
The future of Radio Astronomy (your thoughts)

Yes, radio astronomy is still a young technology compared to optical astronomy. The ability to link numerous smaller dishes to function as one gigantic dish is just now being exploited. The resolution of these units will rival or surpass that of the Hubble telescope. Radio telescopes also make use of frequencies that are inaccessible to other ground based telescopes. Earth's atmosphere has little effect at radio frequencies.

Register to reply