Find q for a moving particle

by Rae_4
Tags: electricity
Share this thread:
Rae_4
Jan29-13, 06:36 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A moving particle encounters an external electric field that decreases its kinetic energy from 8560 eV to 6770 eV as the particle moves from position A to position B. The electric potential at A is -50.5 V, and the electric potential at B is +25.9 V. Determine the charge of the particle. Include the algebraic sign (+ or −) with your answer.

2. Relevant equations
V=EPE/q, EPE=qEx=KE

3. The attempt at a solution
ΔKE/ΔV=q

2. Relevant equations

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
gneill
Jan29-13, 07:20 PM
Mentor
P: 11,614
Quote Quote by Rae_4 View Post
A moving particle encounters an external electric field that decreases its kinetic energy from 8560 eV to 6770 eV as the particle moves from position A to position B. The electric potential at A is -50.5 V, and the electric potential at B is +25.9 V. Determine the charge of the particle. Include the algebraic sign (+ or −) with your answer.

2. Relevant equations
V=EPE/q, EPE=qEx=KE

ΔKE/ΔV=q
Hi Rae_4, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Did you have a particular question about the problem? You seem to be on the right track with your attempt.
Rae_4
Jan29-13, 07:23 PM
Yeah. I'm trying that formula, but it keeps telling me my answer is incorrect. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When I attempt the practice version it is trying to tell me the answer is times 10^-18 and nothing I have in that formula would give me a number that small. Are my formulas incorrect?

haruspex
Jan29-13, 07:44 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,645
Find q for a moving particle

Quote Quote by Rae_4 View Post
nothing I have in that formula would give me a number that small. Are my formulas incorrect?
The energy is given in eV. The charge of an electron is 1.6021765 10 −19 coulomb. That's pretty small.
Rae_4
Jan29-13, 07:59 PM
Figured it out. Thanks!

Register to reply