Find net velocity of charged particle in electric field (symbols only)

In summary, the electric field above an infinitessimal sheet of charge is not the same as a conductor with charge, and the velocity goes to zero as the field becomes equal to mg/q.
Jaccobtw
Homework Statement
A small sphere of mass m and charge +q with zero velocity falls under the influence of gravity from height h onto an infinite uniformly charged plane with positive charge density σ.

Assuming the charge density is sufficiently low that the sphere falls, what will the velocity of the sphere be when it hits the plane? Note that the electric field above an infinite plane of charge is constant everywhere, pointing away from the plane (for a positive charged plane) and equal to ##\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_o}##

Give an expression for the magnitude of ##\vec{v}_{F}##
in terms of m ,g, q, h, σ ,and ϵ

Relevant Equations
F = qE
F = mg
Fnet = mg - qE
v^2 = 2ax
We know the net force on the charged particle in the uniform electric field pointing up is mg - qE.

To get acceleration, divide the net force by mass to get g - qE/m

Plug into kinematic equation and get velocity by itself and substitute$$\sqrt{h(2g - \frac{q \sigma}{\epsilon_o m})}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question?

Orodruin said:
Did you have a question?
Yeah apparently I did it wrong. But I'm not sure what I did wrong

Jaccobtw said:
Plug into kinematic equation
Try that part again, taking it in small steps. If you still don't see it, post them.

Orodruin said:
Did you have a question?
Do you know what I did wrong?

haruspex said:
Try that part again, taking it in small steps. If you still don't see it, post them.
Did I plug it it wrong? I’m still getting the same answer

Jaccobtw said:
Yeah apparently I did it wrong. But I'm not sure what I did wrong
Why do you think so and what are you told it is supposed to be?

Orodruin said:
Why do you think so and what are you told it is supposed to be?
I don’t have the answer but the homework just says it’s incorrect

Look at your result. How big would the electric field need to be to make v=0? You are off by a factor of 2
The field above an infinitessimal sheet of charge is not the same as a conductor with charge.

hutchphd said:
Look at your result. How big would the electric field need to be to make v=0? You are off by a factor of 2
The field above an infinitessimal sheet of charge is not the same as a conductor with charge.
Why would v = 0 except as an initial velocity?

hutchphd said:
Wouldn’t the electric field have to be equal to mg/q for v initial to be 0?

Likes hutchphd
Jaccobtw said:
Wouldn’t the electric field have to be equal to mg/q for v initial to be 0?
Yes. My mistake sorry.

hutchphd said:
He is not off. The electric field would have to be ##mg/q## to balance the forces.

hutchphd said:
He has the field correctly as ##\sigma/(2\epsilon_0)##. Hence, for the forces to balance it is necessary that
$$
g = \frac{q\sigma}{2m\epsilon_0}
$$
which is when his expression for the velocity goes to zero as it should.

Likes hutchphd
Jaccobtw said:
but the homework just says it’s incorrect
Is this an autocorrected homework?

Jaccobtw said:
$$\sqrt{h(2g - \frac{q \sigma}{\epsilon_o m})}$$
Unless I’m being silly (quite possible), I get the same answer as you.

Some thoughts:

In your Post #1, you state the answer should be in terms of ##\epsilon## (not ##\epsilon_0##). So (unless this is a mistake) try entering your answer without the subscript 0.

The software which checks your answer may not be able to parse it correctly. So try a different format, e.g. $$\sqrt{2gh - \frac{q \sigma h}{\epsilon_o m}}$$
Sometimes the ‘official’ answer is wrong – it happens. One possibility is that whoever worked out the official answer made a mistake and used ##E = \frac {\sigma}{\epsilon_0}## instead of ##E = \frac {\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}##. You could try entering the answer based on the assumption that this mistake has been made to see what happens.

Likes Jaccobtw

What is the formula for finding the net velocity of a charged particle in an electric field?

The formula for finding the net velocity of a charged particle in an electric field is v = (qE)/m, where v is the velocity, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field strength, and m is the mass of the particle.

How do I determine the direction of the net velocity of a charged particle in an electric field?

The direction of the net velocity can be determined by the direction of the electric field and the charge of the particle. If the electric field is positive and the particle has a positive charge, the net velocity will be in the same direction as the electric field. If the electric field is negative and the particle has a positive charge, the net velocity will be in the opposite direction of the electric field.

What units should I use for the variables in the formula for finding the net velocity?

The units for velocity (v) are meters per second (m/s), the units for charge (q) are Coulombs (C), the units for electric field strength (E) are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C), and the units for mass (m) are kilograms (kg).

Can the net velocity of a charged particle in an electric field be negative?

Yes, the net velocity of a charged particle in an electric field can be negative. This indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field.

How does the net velocity of a charged particle in an electric field affect its motion?

The net velocity of a charged particle in an electric field determines the speed and direction of its motion. The particle will accelerate in the direction of the electric field if the net velocity is positive, and decelerate or move in the opposite direction if the net velocity is negative.