Register to reply

How much do physics post-docs pay

by narayan.rocks
Tags: physics, postdocs
Share this thread:
narayan.rocks
Jan29-13, 08:25 PM
P: 38
I am a high school student starting grade 11 this year. I am really not happy with education in India here so i plan to go abroad probably US for my undergrad physics degree.I also intend to apply to a US grad school for my Phd after my Undergrad work.So this whole will take about 7 years on avergage and i will be 23 by the time i get my Phd. So after i get my Phd if i get a postdoc at a university or any other organisation how much do they pay . I love physics and doing Physics but i dont want to be underpaid after 7 years of hardwork . I dont have any intention on marrying or having kids .
So what kind of lifestyle can i ( only me without family , alone ) have with the postdoc level of salary .
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
cesaruelas
Jan29-13, 08:39 PM
P: 53
http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=physics+postdocs+salary
Jorriss
Jan29-13, 08:50 PM
P: 1,048
7 years for a bachelors and phd? damn. I hope I can finish my PhD in 7.

ZapperZ
Jan30-13, 08:13 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
How much do physics post-docs pay

Quote Quote by narayan.rocks View Post
I am a high school student starting grade 11 this year. I am really not happy with education in India here so i plan to go abroad probably US for my undergrad physics degree.I also intend to apply to a US grad school for my Phd after my Undergrad work.So this whole will take about 7 years on avergage and i will be 23 by the time i get my Phd. So after i get my Phd if i get a postdoc at a university or any other organisation how much do they pay . I love physics and doing Physics but i dont want to be underpaid after 7 years of hardwork . I dont have any intention on marrying or having kids .
So what kind of lifestyle can i ( only me without family , alone ) have with the postdoc level of salary .
Isn't it a bit ridiculous to start thinking about postdoc pay at this stage? Whatever info we give you now will be either out of date, or no longer applies, by the time you get to being a postdoc. This is ignoring the fact that postdoc pay varies widely at different institutions.

I also do not think you understand what a "postdoc" is, because from the way you are describing it, you think it is a permanent job.

Zz.
eri
Jan30-13, 07:39 PM
P: 977
The average PhD in physics takes 7.5 years of graduate school. The masters work alone can take 3 years; you will not finish the PhD in that time. Expect 8-12 years of college total. The pay for a postdoc can change quite a bit in that time.

Register to reply