Switching from grad quantitative psych to physics: is it possible?

In summary: Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It is a very mathematical form of physics, and is used to model a wide range of phenomena such as radiation, atoms, and the behavior of electrons. It is also the theory that explains the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves. Switching to a Physics PhD program would likely focus on doing research in quantum mechanics, as that is what you are an expert in.
MountainMan97
Hi everyone. I'm currently a 3rd year quantitative/mathematical/cognitive psychology graduate student in a PhD program finishing my masters after this semester. In it, I'm using the mathematics of quantum mechanics to model cognitive phenomena. I was accepted into a physics PhD program as an undergraduate, but I chose to attend my current PhD program instead due to life circumstances and stuck with it. Working with all of the physics math and physicists I do, I've realized and decided staunchly that I'm meant to do physics instead.

I did physics, psychology, and philosophy as an undergraduate. I had a second-author publication in physics as an undergraduate in QIS, a 3.34 physics GPA, and a 3.65 cumulative GPA. That's with some other various awards and such. Do you think it's possible to still switch to a physics PhD program? Would I be a more competitive candidate in a masters program? Or will committees think I'm being wishy-washy (which, admittedly, I was in undergrad). But supposing that I could argue a convincing case, would my stats and masters likely end me up in the reject pile?

Thanks so much!

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
If you were admitted to a physics PhD program 3 years ago, I don't see how you would be any worse off because you chose to pursue a PhD in something else in the meantime.

Likes gwnorth
I am going to disagree with Choppy.

Here are the horns of the dilemma you are on. If you finish your current PhD, very very few places will admit you to another ones. A PhD is supposed to mean that you are an expert in whatever you say you're an expert in, so why get another one? On the other hand, if you drop out of the program after 3 years, you look, to use your words "wishy washy". The committee will probably use other words, like "likely to bail on us as well" and possibly "perpetual student".

Does your school offer a PhD in physics? If so, does the university confer the degree? i.e. is it "Doctor of Philosophy as Recommended by the Department of Physics" instead of "Doctor of Philosophy in Physics"? If so, the path of least resistance is probably to come up with a thesis topic acceptable to both departments and the appropriate course work and shoot for that.

Likes berkeman
What does "do Physics" mean? I would argue that "applying quantum mechanics to model cognitive phenomena" is doing Physics. If you were to switch to a Physics PhD program what topic would you be wanting to focus on for your thesis instead?

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman

1. Can I switch from a graduate program in quantitative psychology to a graduate program in physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a graduate program in quantitative psychology to a graduate program in physics. However, it may require some additional coursework or prerequisites in physics, depending on your background and the specific program requirements.

2. What skills from my quantitative psychology background can I transfer to the field of physics?

As a quantitative psychologist, you likely have a strong foundation in statistical analysis, data interpretation, and mathematical modeling. These skills are highly transferable to the field of physics and will be valuable in conducting research and analyzing data.

3. Will I need to take additional coursework in physics before starting a graduate program?

This will depend on your specific background and the requirements of the physics program you are interested in. Some programs may require you to have a certain level of coursework in physics before starting, while others may offer bridge courses to help you catch up.

4. How will switching to a physics program affect my career prospects?

Switching from a graduate program in quantitative psychology to physics may open up new career opportunities in fields such as research, data science, and engineering. It may also enhance your skills and make you a more competitive candidate for jobs in various industries.

5. Are there any challenges I should be aware of when switching to a physics program?

Switching to a new field of study can be challenging, as you will need to learn new concepts and terminology. It may also require a significant time commitment to catch up on any necessary coursework. However, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly possible to successfully switch to a physics program.