Solving Differential - Equation of Motion

by aerowenn
Tags: differential, equation, motion, solving
Share this thread:
aerowenn
Jan30-13, 11:48 PM
P: 19
Let's say I have the equation:

##\ddot {\theta}(t)(J + y(t)^2) + 2 \dot {\theta}(t) y(t) \dot y(t) + \ddot y(t)Jn##

It's the general form of an equation I'm working with to describe the motion of a beam. As you can see both ##{\theta}(t)## and y(t) are equations of t. J and Jn are just constants.

I'm wanting to solve for ##{\theta}(t)##, ##\dot {\theta}(t)##, and ##\ddot {\theta}(t)## as a function of time. These will correspond to position, velocity, and acceleration around an axis.

I'm not sure how to go about this (differential) generally, I'm wanting the solutions mentioned about to come out something like:

##{\theta}(t)## = (equation of t)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
jedishrfu
Jan31-13, 12:30 AM
P: 2,769
have you tried using e^iat style functions for theta(t)?

I ask because its sometimes used when you periodic motion which in your case is rotating about an axis.
HallsofIvy
Jan31-13, 10:03 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,300
That's not a differential equation. Is one of those "+" signs supposed to be an "=" sign? Or is the whole formula equal to something, say "0"?

aerowenn
Jan31-13, 10:07 AM
P: 19
Solving Differential - Equation of Motion

Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
That's not a differential equation. Is one of those "+" signs supposed to be an "=" sign? Or is the whole formula equal to something, say "0"?
Terribly sorry about that, you are correct. All of that is equal to 0.

As for the other response, I thought of that, but I'm not sure the general solution to second order differential equations applies here. Both functions are dependent on "t".

Register to reply