Solving and manipulating the damped oscillator differential equation

In summary, the differential equation that describes a damped harmonic oscillator is:$$\ddot x + 2\gamma \dot x + {\omega}^2x = 0$$where ##\gamma## and ##\omega## are constants.We can solve this homogeneous linear differential equation by guessing ##x(t) = Ae^{\alpha t}## from which we get the condition:$$\alpha = -\gamma \pm ({\gamma}^2 - {\omega}^2)^{1/2}$$we can then say that the most general solution for ##x(t)## is:$$x(
Hamiltonian
the differential equation that describes a damped Harmonic oscillator is:
$$\ddot x + 2\gamma \dot x + {\omega}^2x = 0$$ where ##\gamma## and ##\omega## are constants.
we can solve this homogeneous linear differential equation by guessing ##x(t) = Ae^{\alpha t}##
from which we get the condition:
$$\alpha = -\gamma \pm ({\gamma}^2 - {\omega}^2)^{1/2}$$

we can then say that the most general solution for ##x(t)## is:
$$x(t) = e^{-\gamma t}(Ae^{\Omega t} + Be^{-\Omega t})$$ where ##\Omega = ({\gamma}^2 - {\omega}^2)^{1/2} ##

since I am trying to derive ##x(t)## for under damping i.e. ##\gamma < \omega## or ##{\Omega}^2 < 0##
say ##w' = ({\omega}^2 - {\gamma }^2 )^{1/2}##
then we have ##\Omega = (-1)^{1/2}w' = Iw'##

$$x(t) = e^{-\gamma t}(Ae^{Iw't} + Be^{-Iw't})$$

##x(t)## has to be real as it represents displacement.
My book thus concludes that $$x(t) = Ce^{-\gamma t}cos(w't + \phi) ->(1)$$
it suggests we can get this by using ##e^{i\theta} = cos\theta + isin\theta## and it also states that if ##x(t)## is to be real then ##A* = B## where ##A*## is the complex conjugate of ##A##(I don't see why this has to be true). I need help arriving at eqn(1).

Physics news on Phys.org
As you assume ##A=B^*=a e^{i\phi}##. Your result goes
[tex]x(t)=e^{-\gamma t} 2a [e^{i(\omega'+\phi)t}+e^{-i(\omega'+\phi)t}][/tex]
You see ##C=4a##

EDIT Correction
[tex]x(t)=e^{-\gamma t} 2a [e^{i(\omega't+\phi)}+e^{-i(\omega't+\phi)}]=e^{-\gamma t} 4a \cos(\omega't+\phi)[/tex]

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
You see ##C=4a##
i don't understand how they are converting the exponential form(i.e. ##x(t) = e^{-\gamma t}(Ae^{\Omega t} + Be^{-\Omega t})##) to the nice trigonometric form by applying Euler's formula.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
You see ##C=4a##

EDIT Correction
[tex]x(t)=e^{-\gamma t} 2a [e^{i(\omega't+\phi)}+e^{-i(\omega't+\phi)}]=e^{-\gamma t} 4a \cos(\omega't+\phi)[/tex]
[tex]x(t)=e^{-\gamma t} a [e^{i(\omega'+\phi)t}+e^{-i(\omega'+\phi)t}][/tex]
so, should'nt ##C = 2a##?

I tried doing the same manipulation for the differential equation describing simple harmonic motion:
$$\ddot x + \omega^2 x = 0$$
after guessing the solution to be of form ##x(t) = Ae^{\alpha t}## we get
$$x(t) = Ae^{i\omega t} + Be^{-i\omega t}$$
now again from here I want to write ##x(t)## in terms of a trigonometric function:
since ##x(t)## has to be real ##A* = B = ae^{i\phi}##
$$x = ae^{i(wt - \phi)} + ae^{-i(wt - \phi)}$$
$$x = Ccos(wt - \phi)$$ so ##C = 2a##
is this correct?

You may remember
[tex]cos \phi = \frac{e^{i\phi}+e^{-i\phi}}{2}[/tex]

Likes Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
It also states that if x(t) is to be real then A∗=B where A∗ is the complex conjugate of A(I don't see why this has to be true).
Using Euler's formula, you get
$$x(t) = A e^{i\omega t}+B e^{-i\omega t} = (A+B) \cos\omega t + i(A-B)\sin\omega t.$$ Let ##A = a+bi## and ##B = c+di##. For ##x(t)## to be real, ##(A+B)## has to be real and ##(A-B)## has to be imaginary, so you get
\begin{align*}
A+B &= (a+c)+i(b+d) \quad \Rightarrow \quad d = -b \\
A-B &= (a-c) + i(b-d) \quad \Rightarrow \quad c = a
\end{align*} So you have ##B = a-bi = A^*##.

The solution is now ##x(t) = c_1 \cos \omega t + c_2 \sin \omega t## where ##c_1## and ##c_2## are real. Try expanding ##C \cos(\omega t - \phi)## using the angle-addition identity and compare the two forms of the solution.

1. What is a damped oscillator differential equation?

A damped oscillator differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator. It takes into account the damping force, which is a resistive force that opposes the motion of the oscillator, and is represented by a friction coefficient in the equation.

2. How is the damping coefficient related to the behavior of the damped oscillator?

The damping coefficient is directly related to the rate at which the amplitude of the oscillator decreases over time. A higher damping coefficient means that the oscillator will lose energy more quickly and reach its equilibrium position faster, resulting in a smaller amplitude of oscillation.

3. What are the different solutions to the damped oscillator differential equation?

There are three types of solutions to the damped oscillator differential equation: overdamped, critically damped, and underdamped. The type of solution depends on the value of the damping coefficient in relation to the natural frequency of the oscillator.

4. How can the damped oscillator differential equation be solved?

The damped oscillator differential equation can be solved using various methods, such as the Laplace transform, the characteristic equation, or by using a numerical method like Euler's method. The specific method used will depend on the type of solution desired and the initial conditions of the system.

5. What are some real-life applications of the damped oscillator differential equation?

The damped oscillator differential equation has many practical applications, including modeling the behavior of springs and shock absorbers in mechanical systems, predicting the decay of electrical circuits, and studying the motion of a pendulum in a resistive medium. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology to analyze and understand various systems and phenomena.