by russ_watters
Tags: cute, fluffy, murderers
Share this thread:
russ_watters
Jan31-13, 01:37 AM
Mentor
P: 22,248
Killer cats leave billions of avian, rodent victims, study finds

Think of the world's most prolific killers, and you might come up with a list that includes sharks, lions and even humans.

But our smaller, feline friends may be higher up on the list than previously thought, says a report in the journal Nature Communications.

Domestic cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year, according to researchers at the Migratory Bird Center of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute.

The report, published Tuesday, found that cats -- particularly strays -- are "likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic mortality for U.S. birds and mammals."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/us/cat...html?hpt=hp_c3

They must be stopped!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
NemoReally
Jan31-13, 01:57 AM
P: 194
There's a simple cure for these cursed cats (or "Lunch" as they're known in some circles). Meet Fluffy ...

Lisa!
Jan31-13, 02:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 973
Their cuteness give them the right to do whatever they want...

QuarkCharmer
Jan31-13, 02:58 AM
P: 1,035
Cute, Fluffy Murderers

I like looking at funny cat pictures on the internet as much as the next guy, but I absolutely despise feral (or "outside") cats. I've always lived on the coast, and the cats here aren't afraid of people. They are well known to attack fishermen in the area and even small children, spread disease, make an annoying racket all night with their whining when one of them is in heat. They are more like beach-rats to me. I think "outside" cats should really be considered "stray/ferral" cats that "I feed".

Someone think of the birds!
MATLABdude
Jan31-13, 03:03 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
There's a fantastic (if graphic and NSFW) cartoon that's applicable. As there are already mods present, should I post a link, do it in spoilers, post "search for these terms", or just keep it to myself?
NemoReally
Jan31-13, 03:36 AM
Quote Quote by Lisa! View Post
Their cuteness give them the right to do whatever they want...
Fluffy says "Their tastiness gives cats the right to be eaten... Yum, Yum!"
NemoReally
Jan31-13, 03:46 AM
Quote Quote by QuarkCharmer View Post
I like looking at funny cat pictures on the internet as much as the next guy, but I absolutely despise feral (or "outside") cats. I've always lived on the coast, and the cats here aren't afraid of people. They are well known to attack fishermen in the area and even small children, spread disease, make an annoying racket all night with their whining when one of them is in heat. They are more like beach-rats to me. I think "outside" cats should really be considered "stray/ferral" cats that "I feed".
one base I was stationed at had some rather large guard dogs that were very good at their jobs. Every few months the local feral cats would get to be such a nuisance that the dogs were let out on a Cat Cull.

Someone think of the birds!
Rifles or catapults will do the job!
256bits
Jan31-13, 04:11 AM
P: 1,425
According to this site,( 2006 )
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top...opulation.html
there are 76,430,000 domestic cats in the USA.

So it seems unlikely that each and every cat has a bird or rodent for lunch each day.
The "cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year" seems a tad bit on the high end of an exaggeration.
What do they base their estimate on? Potential killing capacity of a cat?
Evo
Jan31-13, 05:02 AM
Mentor
P: 26,485
We have laws here, it is illegal to allow your cat outdoors unless it's on a leash. It is very rare to see a loose cat now and usually the next day you see a missing cat poster on the grocery store bulletin board.
russ_watters
Jan31-13, 05:39 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by 256bits View Post
That's a stat for pet cats, not all domestic cats. The article I linked says most birds and rodents are killed by feral cats, not pet cats. This article says there are 70 million feral cats, so that would be 146 million total cats in the US:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...feralcats.html

And just to be clear:
Quote Quote by QuarkCharmer
I absolutely despise feral (or "outside") cats.
An "outside" cat is a pet cat that partly lives outside, not a feral (wild) cat. I think the article confuses this by calling them both "domestic", which is just the breed but some people take to mean "pet".

For example, my parents have two pet cats that live about half inside and half outside. They eat two meals a day in the house and about one dessert a week outside.
Kholdstare
Jan31-13, 07:14 AM
P: 390
They should never kill wild/feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. Its natural ecosystem. Let nature decide its course. In the meantime if some species gets extincted, it should be called 'survival of the fittest'. Humans have no business trying to preserve animals that they do not harm actively.

However, all domestic/stray cats should be killed off, if they harm other creatures. I don't see the point of having cats as pets.

Speaking of which, does anybody know any good recipe with cats?
Geek4Life
Jan31-13, 09:32 AM
P: 3
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
They should never kill wild/feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. Its natural ecosystem. Let nature decide its course. In the meantime if some species gets extincted, it should be called 'survival of the fittest'. Humans have no business trying to preserve animals that they do not harm actively.

However, all domestic/stray cats should be killed off, if they harm other creatures. I don't see the point of having cats as pets.

Speaking of which, does anybody know any good recipe with cats?
Regarding "Let nature decide its course..."
I don't think that when people bring "pets" from other parts of the world and then release them (accidentally or not-so-accidentally) into the local habitat and let them decimate the local wildlife, that it is "just letting nature take its course."
But to lighten things up, I don't mind when the local cats keep the gopher population in check, but I do mind the little "presents" they leave in the garden soil.
Geek4Life
Jan31-13, 09:38 AM
P: 3
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Killer cats leave billions of avian, rodent victims, study finds

Think of the world's most prolific killers, and you might come up with a list that includes sharks, lions and even humans.

But our smaller, feline friends may be higher up on the list than previously thought, says a report in the journal Nature Communications.

Domestic cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year, according to researchers at the Migratory Bird Center of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute.

The report, published Tuesday, found that cats -- particularly strays -- are "likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic mortality for U.S. birds and mammals."

They must be stopped!
I have yet to hear we have a problem with a lack of "small rodents". This is just part of the food chain. They seem to reproduce quite well, as my friend who got a pair of guinea pigs last year can tell you. I am thinking of the Star Trek show Trouble with Tribbles...
lisab
Jan31-13, 09:39 AM
Mentor
P: 2,979
Quote Quote by Geek4Life View Post
I don't think that when people bring "pets" from other parts of the world and then release them (accidentally or not-so-accidentally) into the local habitat and let them decimate the local wildlife, that it is "just letting nature take its course."
But to lighten things up, I don't mind when the local cats keep the gopher population in check, but I do mind the little "presents" they leave in the garden soil.
Two sides of the same coin there.
Monique
Jan31-13, 11:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
We have laws here, it is illegal to allow your cat outdoors unless it's on a leash. It is very rare to see a loose cat now and usually the next day you see a missing cat poster on the grocery store bulletin board.
Really? Do you know the reason that they passed that law, because they're cute fluffy murders or something else? Just curious
russ_watters
Jan31-13, 11:13 AM
Mentor
They don't have such laws in my area, but my townhouse owner's association does have a leash rule due to reasons of population density and cleanliness of shared space.

I once almost accidentally killed my neighbors cat when it snuck into my garaged and got locked-in for 30 hours
nitsuj
Jan31-13, 11:23 AM
P: 1,097

So it seems unlikely that each and every cat has a bird or rodent for lunch each day.
The "cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year" seems a tad bit on the high end of an exaggeration.
lol I hear ya, I read the article out load at the office and laughed at the estimate between 1.4 & 3.7 billion. I've never even seen a variance of that amount on estimates.

I suspect dogs came up with most of the figures & calculations in the study.
Whovian
Jan31-13, 11:28 AM
P: 642

My friend's cat, according to him, "wrestles water moccasins for fun." I'm guessing this one contributes about half of those birds and rodents, meaning every other cat only has to eat a bird or rodent every other day to make up for the deficit.

Register to reply