Imposing Klein-Gordon on Dirac Equation

by Sekonda
Tags: dirac, equation, imposing, kleingordon
Share this thread:
Sekonda
Jan31-13, 01:43 PM
P: 209
Hey,

My question is on the Dirac equation, I am having a little confusion with the steps that have been taken to get from this form of the Dirac equation:

[tex]i\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=(-i\underline{\alpha}\cdot \underline{\nabla}+\beta m)\psi[/tex]

to

[tex]-\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial t^2}=[-\alpha^{i}\alpha^{j}\nabla^{i}\nabla^{j}-i(\beta\alpha^{i}+\alpha^{i}\beta)m\nabla^{i}+\beta ^{2}m^{2}]\psi[/tex]

I believe we are imposing the Klein-Gordon (maybe not) on the Dirac Equation to determine the conditions required for a free particle description via the Dirac equation, however I cannot see how this is done from those steps above.

I'm not exactly sure what these mean ∇^i and alpha's^i... We are told we apply the 'operator' to both sides of the top equation - I'm not sure what operator this is - I'm guessing it's the Klein Gordon operator though.

Any help would be appreciated on how to get from equation 1 to equation 2,
Thanks,
SK
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
Sekonda
Jan31-13, 02:04 PM
Ok I've just realised we must square it to attain the second equation, though I'm still unsure what the ∇^i's represent and ditto for the alpha's.

I'll keep having a look.
Sekonda
Jan31-13, 02:29 PM
Actually I've figured it now, it's just an index to sum over, I think!

SK

andrien
Feb1-13, 12:36 AM
P: 1,020
Imposing Klein-Gordon on Dirac Equation

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...wZSsogrMAyVO0g
it is treated in last chapter of baym'quantum mechanics'.

Register to reply