Register to reply

Question about which oxygen acts as a nucleophile

by JHUK
Tags: acts, nucleophile, oxygen
Share this thread:
JHUK
Jan29-13, 11:20 PM
P: 5
I posted in picture format to post on another website, but haven't found a reply yet:

Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists create nanofibers using unprecedented new method
Nanostructured metal-oxide catalyst efficiently converts CO2 to methanol (w/ Video)
Researchers discover low-grade nonwoven cotton picks up 50 times own weight of oil
sjb-2812
Jan30-13, 07:49 AM
P: 427
How long ago did you post the other question - seems to me that this was posted whilst a vast majority of PFers were asleep, perhaps this is the issue with your other question.

However, by analogy with other reactions of the carbonyl group I'd think this is likely to involve effectively internal attack on the C=O by the COH, and work from there. Proton transfer, however is fairly rapid so the two mechanisms are pretty identical. Whether a kinetic isotope effect may be present in pure deuterated acid, I don't know.
Yanick
Jan31-13, 08:32 PM
P: 380
You're question is a little unclear because the mechanism shows nucleophilic attack by a -COOH group. The oxygens in these groups are actually equivalent and are best represented by resonance structures where the hydroxyl and carbonyl oxygens exchange.

JHUK
Jan31-13, 11:15 PM
P: 5
Question about which oxygen acts as a nucleophile

I was able to find an answer - the protonated carbonyl is the correct mechanism for both (the second is a mistake). You can see why by considering resonance.
sjb-2812
Feb1-13, 02:34 AM
P: 427
Quote Quote by Yanick View Post
You're question is a little unclear because the mechanism shows nucleophilic attack by a -COOH group. The oxygens in these groups are actually equivalent and are best represented by resonance structures where the hydroxyl and carbonyl oxygens exchange.
No, they are equivalent in the carboxylate anion, but not in the protonated version. Resonance structures do not involve the movement of protons.
Yanick
Feb1-13, 09:47 AM
P: 380
Quote Quote by sjb-2812 View Post
No, they are equivalent in the carboxylate anion, but not in the protonated version. Resonance structures do not involve the movement of protons.
You are correct sir. I shouldn't be answering questions when I'm dead tired.

Register to reply