A bad joke or over my head?

by nitsuj
Tags: head, joke
nitsuj
Feb1-13, 10:20 AM
P: 1,098
Just happened to see this joke in the news paper (tabloid) today. Weather has gone from +10 to -23 (windchill) in a matter of two days.

That said, do dogs lay eggs when it's cold out. (there is no news/politics context that I know of)

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Kholdstare
Feb1-13, 10:34 AM
P: 390
That said, do dogs lay eggs when it's cold out.
Yes. Dogs do lay eggs sometimes. However, it is extremely difficult to locate a dog's eggs and many people have taken a hobby of spotting dog's eggs.
Drakkith
Feb1-13, 10:39 AM
PF Gold
P: 11,011
That's just a bad joke.

Mech_Engineer
Feb1-13, 12:08 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234

A bad joke or over my head?

The joke was over your head. They're trying to allude to the fact that the dogs are so confused they don't even know if they're a dog or some egg-laying vertebrate.

Like Drakkith said, probably not the best joke ever.
leroyjenkens
Feb1-13, 12:18 PM
P: 526
Apparently confusing weather causes your mind to be confused about other things non-weather related, like what species you are.

It's a bad joke, not over your head. You just tried to think about it in a direction it wasn't going, like I did. I thought there was a relation between winter and egg-laying, since there's a common belief that there's a relation between summer and shedding. Also, it sort of implies that the dog equivalent to laying eggs is shedding fur.

I don't think I'm smart at all, but "over my head" usually implies, at least to me, something is too smart or clever, but in this case I think it was too dumb.
russ_watters
Feb1-13, 01:21 PM
Mentor
P: 21,998
Now that that's settled, here's another one. What country is being referred to here?

nitsuj
Feb1-13, 03:25 PM
Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
The joke was over your head. They're trying to allude to the fact that the dogs are so confused they don't even know if they're a dog or some egg-laying vertebrate.

Like Drakkith said, probably not the best joke ever.
I think you're right Mech_Engineer. That also seems to be the consensus here at work, to interpret it literally...weather makes animals "dumb" so the animals said/thought something "dumb".

I was making my own bad joke with the "Do dogs lay eggs in the winter?" question, to LerroyJenkins point about the "logic" with that interpretation, the joke implies it's the case as the "wacky" weather was a temperature variance.

The joke was so not funny to me I had to assume I was missing something.

This "news" paper (tabloid) is about a grade 10 reading level, editorial maybe grade 12...maybe. It just throws me for a loop when they include a grade level 2 joke in the editorial.

Drakkith rightly said it was a BAD joke.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb1-13, 03:29 PM
P: 2,163

Quote Quote by A. Einstein
People slowly accustomed themselves to the idea that the physical states of space itself were the final physical reality.
It reminded me of this one.
Evo
Feb1-13, 03:33 PM
Mentor
P: 25,925
The dogs are cute though.
Ivan Seeking
Feb1-13, 04:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
It is a little known fact that dogs do lay eggs. But they usually eat them which is why this often goes unnoticed.

nitsuj
Feb1-13, 05:04 PM
Forgot to mention the author of the comic is Susan Dewar. She won the "top prize" in Political Cartooning Division of the National Business Writing Awards-1987. Pretty remarkably to make a career out of cartooning. particularly in this day
nitsuj
Feb1-13, 05:09 PM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
It is a little known fact that dogs do lay eggs. But they usually eat them which is why this often goes unnoticed.
I noticed my dog eats less when the weather is colder, now I know why!
lisab
Feb1-13, 07:03 PM
Mentor
P: 2,914
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post

That poor dog was fast asleep!

Nothing like a pet to bring out the silly in an owner .
ImaLooser
Feb4-13, 04:31 AM
P: 571
Quote Quote by nitsuj View Post
Just happened to see this joke in the news paper (tabloid) today. Weather has gone from +10 to -23 (windchill) in a matter of two days.

That said, do dogs lay eggs when it's cold out. (there is no news/politics context that I know of)

The dogs are shaped like penguins. The weather has confused them so much they aren't sure whether they are dogs or penguins.

Not very funny.

Register to reply