Reaction to COVID-19 Vaccine (or what to be prepared for)

In summary, after receiving the second dose of the Moderna vaccine, the person had minor symptoms such as soreness in the arm, feeling sleepy, and a slight fever. They also experienced fatigue, brain fog, and a low appetite. These symptoms lasted for about a day and gradually improved over the course of a month. The person's wife and neighbor also received the vaccine, with milder reactions. The person stated that their immune system responded strongly to the vaccine, showing that it recognizes the spike protein of SARS-COV-2. They also emphasized that despite the side effects, they would still prefer the vaccine over getting the actual virus. After receiving a booster shot, the person experienced even milder symptoms compared to the second dose.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
(This added about a month after this thread opened: It turns out I'm a real outlier for side effects to the vaccine, so don't let this post scare you off. My wife says every time I catch a cold or something that it hits me hard. Of course to me that is 'normal.' :doh:)

A few days ago a neighbor, my wife, and I received the 2nd dose of the Moderna vaccine.

Here is a log of my after-effects. I'll try to keep this updated for any significant news.

Hour
0 - Received second dose of Moderna vaccine. As in the first one, didn't even feel the needle or the injection.
1 - Slight soreness in arm muscle.
2 - Sleepy, nap 2hrs, wakened by scam phone call.
6 - Sleepy, go to bed 5hrs early. Arm too sore to sleep on but otherwise not bothersome.
13 - Wake up shivering from cold. Room not cold, start of fever.
17 - Wake up hot. Throw off covers and back to sleep. (fever broke?)
20 - Wake up hot. Throw covers off. (fever broke?) get up after 14hrs sleep. (normal 8.5hrs.)
-- - Lack of energy, brain fog, low appetite.
24 - Temperature about 2.3°F high, but feeling somewhat better. Pulse 101 (usually 63 resting).
25 - Go out to pick up new eye glasses.
26 - Tired. Temperature about 2.7°F high.
-- - Read (some of) newspaper, check PF and Google News.
30 - Sleepy, bed time, again 5 hrs early. Pulse 93.
43 - Wake up, feel OK, temperature normal. Read rest of yesterdays newspaper. Pulse a normal 63.
48 - Wife and I do some shopping & errands.
52 - We are exhausted!
53 - Home, dinner, newspaper, PF .
56 - Tired, temperature normal, post this log. (& maybe check Google news)

edit:
Day 3 -
-- - Awoke 2hrs short of sleep. Hot, threw covers off but couldn't sleep. After 1/2 hr got up, all vitals normal. Appetite normal.
-- - Arm no longer sore.
-- - Tired, low energy, foggy brain all day.
/edit:

edit:
Day 4 -
-- - Normal sleep, mild low energy but got things done, mid afternoon 2hr. nap though.
-- - 'Loose bowels' much of the day, wife had that late yesterday.
/edit:

edit:
Day 18 -
-- - Mild hair loss noted when combing hair in the morning. This tapered off and resolved itself over 7 to 10 days.
/edit:

edit:
Day 30 - (approximately)
Finally back to 'normal' after about a month of low energy and extra sleep. These effects tapered off over the month until I realized "Hey! I feel OK."

Day 110 - (approximately)
Noticed my finger nails and toe nails are brittle and break easily. Nail trimming caused the nails to shatter rather than the usual clean cut. This happened for only one trimming and then returned to normal.
/edit:

Of the three of us, I had the heaviest reaction to the vaccine. We all slept the afternoon of the shot and all of us were too tired to do much of anything the following day. My wife had a mild fever of about 1°F and the neighbor claimed no fever.

None of us took anything for symptom relief.

In the end it shows that our immune systems REALLY recognize the spike protein on SARS-COV-2!
It also shows that I REALLY REALLY don't want the real thing.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Don't be too concerned about my 'high' fever, my normal body temp is 1 to 1.4 degrees F below 'normal'.

edit:
added pulse rates
/edit:

edit: Oct. 18, 2021
A study of common side effects from the vaccine has been posted. The most common is Fatigue (~67%), with Headache running a close second (~60%).

"An objective systematic comparison of the most common adverse events of COVID-19 vaccines"​

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.11.21264830v1.full.pdf

Or if you prefer a short synopsis,

"Researchers identify common side effects of three COVID-19 vaccines"​

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...-side-effects-of-three-COVID-19-vaccines.aspx
/edit:

edit: Nov. 13, 2021
After 8 months, I got my Moderna Booster shot 4 days ago... Overall, a 'Piece of Cake!' Here are the details:
Hour
0 - Received the Moderna Booster, barely felt the needle and injection
24 - Slept 10 hrs., afternoon nap 1.5 hrs., mild low energy & brain fog, mild - moderate discomfort around injection site
48 - Slept 6 hrs., heart arrythemia, pulse varies between 59-72 within minutes, normal 63, self-corrects after several hours.. Bed 1hr early
72 - Slept 11.5 hrs., 8.5 hrs. is normal, otherwise I feel OK, arm soreness almost gone

Much better than after that second shot!
/edit
edit: Nov. 9, 2023
After having skipped the Summer version, I got the Fall version of the Moderna co-valent vaccine.

About 4pm on October 31 I received the the Moderna vaccine, lets call this Hour 0. I've had the Moderna vaccines in the past without serious side effects.

Hour 4: Very sleepy, go to bed

Hour ??: Sometime during the night I awaken shivering rather energetically. It shortly subsides and I get up for a bathroom run. That is when I find my legs won't straighten all the way. I make it to the bathroom with my legs half bent. When I try to stand up straight I lose muscle control and my knees go back to half folded.

Hour 12?: Dozing and nauseaus. Ask wife to bring a barf-bag (plastic shopping bag inside a paper shopping bag). She brings casserole dish. Several words later she brings a barf-bag. Fortunately it wasn't needed after all.

Hour 16: Get up after 12hrs. of sleep feeling low on energy and a bit foggy-brained.

Hour 20:I decide to read the vaccine Information Sheet I was given after the injection. On the bottom of the back page, in Section 5 What if there is a serious problem, it states "... If you see signs of a serious allergic reaction (hives, swelling of the face and throat, difficulty breathing, fast heartbeat, dizziness, or weakness), <underline added> call 9-1-1 and get the person to the nearest hospital.

Seek medical attention right away if the vaccinated person experiences chest pain, shortness of breath, or feelings of having a fast-beating, fluttering , or pounding heart after COVID-19 vaccination. ...

Check Pulse Rate and Blood Pressure. Pulse +30%, BP -20%.

I did not detect any heart involvment at the time.

After 4 days I was mostly back to normal, tiring a bit easily though and some minor brain-fog hanging around.

Here it is 10 days after the vax and I seem to be sleeping a bit more and perhaps some memory-recall problems.

I think I will change brands for the next vax!

Cheers,
Tom
/edit

edit:
See also the thread by @artis (https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6616209) about possible longer term/delayed reactions after 1 year.
/edit

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Wow
Likes Demystifier, MDG, Astronuc and 5 others
Biology news on Phys.org
I had only very minor symptoms after a second dose of the Pfizer - just slight muscle ache lasting half a day at the injection site, less soreness than after the first time. But many of my colleagues had symptoms like yours after the second dose, so I was concerned and prophylactically dosed myself with lots of diet coke and bakkwa after my second jab, not sure if that worked.

Likes pinball1970
Tom.G said:
A few days ago a neighbor, my wife, and I received the 2nd dose of the Moderna vaccine.

Here is a log of my after-effects. I'll try to keep this updated for any significant news.

Hour
0 - Received second dose of Moderna vaccine. As in the first one, didn't even feel the needle or the injection.
1 - Slight soreness in arm muscle.
2 - Sleepy, nap 2hrs, wakened by scam phone call.
6 - Sleepy, go to bed 5hrs early. Arm too sore to sleep on but otherwise not bothersome.
13 - Wake up shivering from cold. Room not cold, start of fever.
17 - Wake up hot. Throw off covers and back to sleep. (fever broke?)
20 - Wake up hot. Throw covers off. (fever broke?) get up after 14hrs sleep. (normal 8.5hrs.)
-- - Lack of energy, brain fog, low appetite.
24 - Temperature about 2.3°F high, but feeling somewhat better. Pulse 101 (usually 63 resting).
25 - Go out to pick up new eye glasses.
26 - Tired. Temperature about 2.7°F high.
-- - Read (some of) newspaper, check PF and Google News.
30 - Sleepy, bed time, again 5 hrs early. Pulse 93.
43 - Wake up, feel OK, temperature normal. Read rest of yesterdays newspaper. Pulse a normal 63.
48 - Wife and I do some shopping & errands.
52 - We are exhausted!
53 - Home, dinner, newspaper, PF .
56 - Tired, temperature normal, post this log. (& maybe check Google news)

Of the three of us, I had the heaviest reaction to the vaccine. We all slept the afternoon of the shot and all of us were too tired to do much of anything the following day. My wife had a mild fever of about 1°F and the neighbor claimed no fever.

None of us took anything for symptom relief.

In the end it shows that our immune systems REALLY recognize the spike protein on SARS-COV-2!
It also shows that I REALLY REALLY don't want the real thing.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Don't be too concerned about my 'high' fever, my normal body temp is 1 to 1.4 degrees F below 'normal'.

edit:
added pulse rates
/edit:
My boss had fever/flu like symptoms but they were fairly short lived as per above. He did not mention heart rate First dose Phizer.

OP edited to add Day 3.
edit:
Day 3 -
-- - Awoke 2hrs short of sleep. Hot, threw covers off but couldn't sleep. After 1/2 hr got up, all vitals normal. Appetite normal.
-- - Arm no longer sore.
-- - Tired, low energy, foggy brain all day.
/edit:

Last edited:
Six in my immediate family have received both doses. Small sample size but this is an anecdotal thread.
Two were bedridden the day after, too dizzy feverish to get around comfortably. One had an uncomfortable day but nothing incapacitating.
The other three were fine, minor symptoms with normal routines uninterrupted.
Race did not seem a factor, nor did age. No symptoms lasted over four days.

Bad reaction, 62 year old Gwich'in male.
Bad reaction, 29 year old Gwich'in French female.
Mild fever, 30 year old Japanese male.
Very mild fever, 32 and 35 year old Gwich'in Norwegian, female and male respectively.
Myself, sixty nine year old Norwegian male with not even a mild reaction.

No pattern in my family, seems about as random as it can be.

EDIT: This was the Moderna vaccine, no appreciable difference 1st and 2nd jabs. Mine was six week's spread.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc, Klystron, Tom.G and 3 others
Be carefull about reports of reactions such as the concern about blood clotting. As explained here the number of people vaccinated that got blood clots was actually less than the general population:

So maybe it is protective against blood clots? Anyway as a bit of simple math shows this stopping vaccinations etc because of it does not stand up to scrutiny. There is zero doubt Covid has resulted in a significant amount of 'irrational' behavior.

Thanks
Bill

Likes phinds
OP edited to add day 4:
edit:
Day 4 -
-- - Normal sleep, mild low energy but got things done, mid afternoon 2hr. nap though.
-- - 'Loose bowels' much of the day, wife had that late yesterday.
/edit:

Likes bhobba
A related question came up when talking with my brother. If you get Covid-19 after the first vaccination shot but before the booster could one consider it to be a substitute for the booster?

One might ask whether the pathology from the post first shot Covid infection would be short term and mild but would shore up the immune response. If so, this would suggest that after the first shot you no longer need to worry.

Last edited:
ChinleShale said:
A related question came up when talking with my brother. If you get Covid-19 after the first vaccination shot but before the booster could one consider it to be a substitute for the booster?

One might ask whether the pathology from the post first shot Covid infection would be short term and mild but would shore up the immune response. If so, this would suggest that after the first shot you no longer need to worry.

That seems to be the guideline in Singapore.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...delines-updated-moh-allergies-cancer-14414156
"People who have recovered from COVID-19 - and have not completed their vaccination - may receive a single dose of vaccine, in line with the revised guidelines.

"This applies to recovered persons who are unvaccinated and recovered persons who had received one dose of vaccine before being infected," said MOH."

• Informative
Likes bhobba
Here's my anecdotal data point from a guy in his late 60s who got the second dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday morning.

All day yesterday I felt no symptoms except for a bit of local soreness in my arm at the injection site. I stayed up late, puttering on the computer, then went to bed.

I woke up today at about 6am, and thought, "wow, do I feel hot!" I checked my temperature and got 101.4 F. But I wasn't sweating, nor did I feel uncomfortable under my two blankets (it's been chilly at night), just "toastier" than usual. It actually felt rather pleasant. I went back to bed.

After I finally got out of bed around 8am, I was still hot, and felt a bit weak, and my upper arm hurt a bit more.

By late morning, my temperature had fallen to 100.6 F, but I now had a slight headache.

After lunch, I took a nap, and when I woke up around 3pm, my temperature was about 99.4.

At 7pm, my temperature was normal again, 98.6 F, with just a trace of headache.

Now, just before going to bed at midnight, I feel more or less normal except for some soreness in my arm.

So overall, my reaction mostly lasted about 18 hours.

Another data point: my wife, in her early 70s, got her second dose two weeks ago because she was in a higher priority group in my state. She started feeling the reaction the same day, it was stronger than mine, and she was pretty miserable for a couple of days. Then it trailed off during the following few days. So she was a bit anxious during the day when I got my shot. ("Are you feeling anything yet?...)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Astronuc, chemisttree, PeroK and 2 others
After my second dose of Moderna vaccine, I gave my arm a good work out rebuilding a blown down fence, so it wasn't as sore as the first dose. But after a few hours, I made several trips to the bathroom for diarrhea. I was told one possible side effect from the ramped up immune system would be feeling tired. They were right, I slept for 48 hours straight. But feel great now and happy I received the vaccine as I'm soon to be 74. I'll get the buster for the variants when it is available.

• Informative
Likes bhobba
dlgoff said:
I'll get the buster for the variants when it is available.
Sounds appropriate! :wink:

Tom.G said:
Sounds appropriate! :wink:
I are an enganeer but can't spell it. :redface:

I got my second Moderna three days ago. First shot gave me a headache for a day and a little stomach upset day 3 maybe. Second shot gave me a mild 1F fever day 2 and associated malaise...I feel good today, and presume that is the end of it. Not much agita for the benefit. Thanks to Hamilton Bennett and several seminal thinkers who brought this miracle to fruition.

Likes Astronuc, bhobba and dlgoff
I have an appointment this week, either Pfizer or Moderna. I'll report symptoms, if any.

My wife received the Pfizer shots in early Feb and March. She had no adverse reaction, and she just turned 70.

Last edited:
Likes jtbell, pinball1970, bhobba and 1 other person
Heavens knows when I will be getting it. All phase 1a, the most critical group, were supposed to be done by now with the Pfizer vaccine - that is about 600,000 - but only a little under half have been done. Anyway they are going ahead from today with phase 1b to which I belong. But you can't get a booking for love or money - they all went quickly when bookings were open. I personally went to my doctor last week to get some prescriptions and book in. He said forget it - next week they are getting just 80 doses and it will be ramping up over the coming weeks. The clinic is prioritising those over 80 with comorbidities first - although I doubt there are too many without comorbidities over 80 anyway. See or ring him in a few weeks to get a firm date. But complicating this, now is when here in Aus you get the flu vaccine and you need to have at least 2 weeks between it and the Covid vaccine. Further complications are some of the worst flooding ever experienced in Aus delaying arrival, european countries refusing to honor purchases, the appalling situation in Papua New Guinea (PNG) which consequently has vaccine priority. However on the positive side we are now producing 1 million doses per week of the Oxford vaccine down in Melbourne. In practical terms I will be seeing my doctor next month to get the Flu shot and and see if I can book in for the Oxford vaccine sometime at least 2 weeks after that. You can get the flu shot from today, but it is recommended to get it mid April because it has maximum potency 4 months after getting it - allowing 2 weeks for immunity to build after vaccination.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes atyy
bhobba said:
All phase 1a, the most critical group, were supposed to be done by now with the Pfizer vaccine - that is about 600,000 - but only a little under half have been done. Anyway they are going ahead from today with phase 1b to which I belong. But you can't get a booking for love or money - they all went quickly when bookings were open.
Much the same experience I've been having, but I was finally able to find an appointment, although it is about 35 miles away from home, rather than at a facility in the neighborhood.

I had signed up (as instructed) for an appointment the day before I was officially eligible. When I officially became eligible the next day I visited the website as instructed and found that there were no appointments available in my area for the next three days. A week later, I received a notification (with a link) on my phone. I immediately went to the site (link) and received the same message that appointments were unavailable. So I sent them a message to that effect.

I finally got an appointment through a circuitous route online. My son also got an appointment, and it is 40 miles away in a different direction from where I need to go. My wife found an appointment about 60 miles away, and others we know traveled more than 100 miles, because some areas got the vaccine and many others didn't.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and bhobba
OXFORD/ Astra Zeneca
I have rejigged this so its quicker to read. Probably no more additions after 24th March

General information

54 years old in decent shape perhaps 5-7 lbs over weight BMI 25.
Potential Underlying asthma treated with Beclometasone every day and Salbutamol when required

22st March

3.pm first jab
7pm Headache lowish energy. I took a paracetamol and feel a lot better.
10pm Restless night but I do not think I had much of a temperature, not too hot to touch or sweats

23nd March

6.30am. Temp in range (non-contact forehead thermometer) Low energy today from getting up at appetite good, no head ache to speak of just a wiped out feeling
3pm Legs ache ( 24 hours since jab) Very low energy
6pm. Wiped out, bed, Paracetamol.
6pm- early hours. Fitful broken sleep. Sweats, fever, shivers, aches. Like flu (I had flu 2010 ish)

24th March

6.30am. Temp 37°C aching low energy but appetite good.

In general after the 24 hour period is where I felt pretty ill. Paracetamol and pint of water by the bed and ride it out.
If you are working/ commuting book 2 days off, so e.g. Jab Monday morning book Tue/Wed off. I was not able to do this so perhaps my energy other symptoms were a little bit worse.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Astronuc, bhobba and Tom.G
Astronuc said:
I have an appointment this week, either Pfizer or Moderna. I'll report symptoms, if any.

My wife received the Pfizer shots in early Feb and March. She had no adverse reaction, and she just turned 70.
I just got the first Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine about two hours ago. Second shot is scheduled a month (~30 days) later.

Hour
0 A tiny bit of soreness during the first 5 minutes, but it subsided quickly, and no soreness after 15 minutes. Arm felt a bit warm, but that too has dissipated.
1 Feel fine, no soreness.
2 Not even tired.

A close friend had his second Pfizer shot yesterday. He commented, "Approximately 24 hours after receiving the second dose of my Covid vaccine I’ve got a slightly sore arm and I’m feeling slightly sluggish." He had little reaction after the first shot, so this seems consistent with the 2nd shot inducing some immune response in the body.

Update: Hour 4 - no soreness, no fatigue. I think most friends and acquaintances received the Pfizer vaccine, most seem to have no significant symptoms, at least with the first shot. I will try to find out who got the Moderna vaccine to see if there is more prevalence for symptoms of discomfort or reaction.

Update: Hour 8 - no soreness, no fatigue. I feel fine.
My friend commented that his wife and daughters had the Moderna vaccines. Wife had no symptoms, older daughter and son-in-law had moderate symptoms, and younger daughter had mild symptoms. So it seems that Moderna will likely produce symptoms, but sample size is so far limited, and this is anecdotal.

Update: Hour 12 - a little tenderness at the site of the vaccination injection, but no significant soreness, and no fatigue. I'm assuming this is a normal response to the first injection.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Evo, jtbell, Tom.G and 3 others
Hour 17 - woke up at 0400, feeling a bit warm, but no fever or chills, so I decided to check the eruption of Geldingadalir in Iceland. What else would a PFer do at 0400. The injection site is a bit sore, but otherwise I feel normal. Went back to sleep around hour 18.

Hour 22 - woke up again, and feel more or less normal.

Hour 36 - no soreness, no fatigue. It's been a normal day.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Informative
Likes hutchphd, pinball1970, Tom.G and 2 others
It does seem that mild adverse effects are fairly common. From what I can make out the second dose is more likely to cause side effects than the first and younger people are more likely to experience them. It may be that the Moderna vaccine causes more because it uses a higher dose than the Pfizer and the timing does seem important with all of the vaccines.

The first dose does provide significant protection, though really people need to wait at least around 3 weeks for the immune system to get into gear, after that the protection seems to continue to improve for quite some time. Even after a single dose after 3 weeks people rarely become seriously ill, in the Astra Zenica data from Scotland after many thousands of people were vaccinated, while there were some symptomatic cases, these were uncommon and none of the vaccinated group were hospitalised or died from Covid 19. The current UK case numbers and deaths appear to confirm the effectiveness of their approach.

I had my first dose of the AZ vaccine and had a mild arm ache on the second day.

Likes Astronuc and BillTre
Laroxe said:
I had my first dose of the AZ vaccine and had a mild arm ache on the second day.
Me too.

Likes Laroxe
Laroxe said:
It does seem that mild adverse effects are fairly common.

Oh yes. Not sure if it is worse or better than the flu jab but it is well known that often has mild reactions as well. I always get a sore arm for a week, and one year actually got a mild dose of the flu. But my doctor was not so sure - he said it could just be a cold and a coincidence you got it after the vaccine - but either way it was very mild. Here in Brisbane we are now in lockdown whose root cause seems to be unvaccinated front line workers spreading it. The reason that happened is evidently the number of frontline workers, who all get the Pfizer vaccine, needing a couple of days to get over reactions meant they could not vaccinate them all in a hurry even though they had enough vaccines. Hence they had to stager it. Fair enough. But they still let the unvaccinated workers continue to do high risk tasks. So we are now in lockdown. After the fact it has been announced no unvaccinated worker will do any high risk work. Better late than never I suppose.

Thanks
Bill

• Sad
Likes Laroxe and Tom.G
bhobba said:
Oh yes. Not sure if it is worse or better than the flu jab but it is well known that often has mild reactions as well. I always get a sore arm for a week, and one year actually got a mild dose of the flu. But my doctor was not so sure - he said it could just be a cold and a coincidence you got it after the vaccine - but either way it was very mild. Here in Brisbane we are now in lockdown whose root cause seems to be unvaccinated front line workers spreading it. The reason that happened is evidently the number of frontline workers, who all get the Pfizer vaccine, needing a couple of days to get over reactions meant they could not vaccinate them all in a hurry even though they had enough vaccines. Hence they had to stager it. Fair enough. But they still let the unvaccinated workers continue to do high risk tasks. So we are now in lockdown. After the fact it has been announced no unvaccinated worker will do any high risk work. Better late than never I suppose.

Thanks
Bill
With the flu vaccine the virus is inactivated and unable to give you flu, but of course you still get the immune reactance. They use a live attenuated virus in the nasal spay vaccine but I understand they are a bit less popular these days. The problem with vaccinating all the frontline workers is not really in the possibility of side effects, its the fact that it takes 2-3 weeks to have a protective effects. This means that you will be left with lots of unprotected people in those jobs,but at least that's the group being targeted first, with the low incidence you should catch up fairly easily. Hopefully anyway.

Likes bhobba
My wife and I, both elderly and neither in the best of health, got both shots and for all of our shots the only reaction was a very mild soreness in our arms later in the day of the shot and early the next day and that was it.

Our son, mid-30's, felt terrible the next day after the 2nd shot but was fully recovered by the day after that. His wife, same age, had the same reaction my wife and I did.

It seems to be a complete crap-shoot as to whether you get an adverse reaction, although I have heard both anecdotally and from a pharmacist that younger folks have more of a tendency towards bad reactions for a day or two after the 2nd shot (and that seems to apply both the the Pfizer and the Moderna)

Likes Klystron and bhobba
Laroxe said:
The problem with vaccinating all the frontline workers is not really in the possibility of side effects, its the fact that it takes 2-3 weeks to have a protective effects.

Yes - as was pointed out in another thread. Really you need to 'lockdown' the hospital until those vaccinated have had enough time for immunity to build. That is of course very disruptive, but it is what ended up happening anyway to bring the current outbreak under control. Of course you would plan it so there is still capacity available during that time. It has been mandated now front line workers must be vaccinated - 86% have now been vaccinated so it can be done. I just would have liked it planned so it could have happened sooner.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Laroxe
Laroxe said:
It does seem that mild adverse effects are fairly common. From what I can make out the second dose is more likely to cause side effects than the first and younger people are more likely to experience them.
That's what I've heard too. Younger people tend to have a more robust immune response than older people, so they're more likely to experience side effects from the second shot.

My mom, who is in her 80s, got the Pfizer vaccine, and her only symptom was a sore arm, particularly after the second dose. A friend who's in her 20s said the second dose of Pfizer hit her "like a train."

I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine 22 days ago. My arm was mildly sore the next day or two. My second dose is scheduled for Tuesday.

Likes Astronuc and bhobba
I received first dose of Pfizer early March in Nevada the same time my younger sister received same in California. Both in our sixties. Mild side effects including increased sleepiness for two days. We both noticed increased appetite. Received second Pfizer dose three weeks later. Sister felt sleepy. I felt energized and alert including enhanced performance at physical therapy for ~5 days. Feel normal now but retain exercise performance levels. I may have reported this in another vaccination thread.

FTR I have numerous injuries and live with arthritis, heart and spine defects but my metabolic health, diet and lifestyle are healthy. Our swimming pools are being inspected and should open tomorrow 1 April. Yes!

• Love
Likes Astronuc, bhobba, nsaspook and 1 other person
Klystron said:
Our swimming pools are being inspected and should open tomorrow 1 April. Yes!
Don't fall for that old joke! :wink:

• Haha
Likes Klystron, bhobba and Tom.G
My son got Moderna today during the middle of the work day. He returned to work and felt fine. This evening though, he felt fatigued. On the other hand, he was up a 6 am to get ready for work, and he informed me that the dog kept him awake last night. So I don't know if it was lack of sleep or the vaccination that resulted in him being tired.

I had a conversation with several colleagues today. Some have received Pfizer and some Moderna, among them and other folks they know, the general consensus is that folks getting Moderna generally have stronger side-effects than those getting Pfizer, which is consistent with many folks I know. Almost universally, the second shot produces a stronger reaction. Some folks reported feeling wiped out the day following the second vaccination.

Edit/Update: My son was less tired after a brief nap yesterday afternoon/evening, so it his tiredness may have been related to the dog disturbing his sleep the night before. He seemed fine last night.

Edit/Udate2: My son went to work this morning. The arm was sore at the site of the injection, but he was otherwise fine.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint and bhobba
Some member said in one of the posts on the topic:
So overall, my reaction mostly lasted about 18 hours.

So many of us are looking forward to the side effects, and as bad as they may be, are better than having the real disease. Fever, chills, headache, aches/pains around the body, fatigue - but should be less than a day.

Something to correct in the quote: That poster mistook "side effects" as "reactions". They are not the same. Reactions are what might or might not happen during the first few minutes after being vaccinated, so the vaccinee must stay at the vaccination location for half-hour before leaving, in case reactions need to be treated.

Some few or several HOURS later, the fever or chills or aches and pains and fatigue - those are examples of "side effects".

• Informative
Likes BillTre
symbolipoint said:
those are examples of "side effects".
I will never forget my first formal introduction to "side effects". I was early on working for Medco, a pharma distribution company and was in the can reading the weekly newsletter when I ran across a statement that one of the medications had a "side effect" of death.

I immediately went to the VP I was working for and said I didn't see how death could be a mere "side effect". She asked me if I thought the medicine was DESIGNED to kill people and of course I said no, so she said "well, see ... if it DOES kill someone, that's a side effect". :oops:

• Wow
Likes Astronuc, symbolipoint and BillTre
phinds said:
I will never forget my first formal introduction to "side effects". I was early on working for Medco, a pharma distribution company and was in the can reading the weekly newsletter when I ran across a statement that one of the medications had a "side effect" of death.

I immediately went to the VP I was working for and said I didn't see how death could be a mere "side effect". She asked me if I thought the medicine was DESIGNED to kill people and of course I said no, so she said "well, see ... if it DOES kill someone, that's a side effect". :oops:
Well,... at least it is not a "reaction".

symbolipoint said:
So many of us are looking forward to the side effects, and as bad as they may be, are better than having the real disease. Fever, chills, headache, aches/pains around the body, fatigue - but should be less than a day.
"Looking forward" is probably not the best choice of wording. Perhaps "anticipating" or "expecting"?

• Haha
Likes artis and BillTre
vela said:
"Looking forward" is probably not the best choice of wording. Perhaps "anticipating" or "expecting"?
How about "resigned to" ?

• Haha
Likes SolarisOne and vela