AP Exams: What Are They & What Do You Get?

• Testing
  • Thread starter narayan.rocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap
In summary, the Advanced Placement Exams are standardized tests that students can take to earn college credit for introductory courses. These tests cover a variety of subjects, including Physics, Calculus, and Chemistry, and are typically taken by students who plan on attending college in the United States. However, AP scores do not guarantee admission to top universities and some schools may not even consider them for admission. It is recommended to only take AP exams in subjects that are not redundant and to supplement learning outside of class. Students outside of the US may have other options, such as A-levels or IB scores, that are also accepted by many colleges.
narayan.rocks
Okay I heard about the Advanced Placement Exams a few weeks ago . I came online and saw the question papers and they are fairly easy .
So here is my question what are the Advanced Placement tests for ?
I am planning to give Advanced placement tests in Calculus(AB and BC) Physics ( all papers )
but what will i get if i clear the APs.

Physics news on Phys.org
narayan.rocks said:
So that means if i clear AP in calculus then i don't have to take calculus courses in college??.

And if I have 5/5 AP scores and perfect SAT scores and a Olympiad Medal would i have a decent chance of getting inside MIT/Caltech/stanford etc

A 5/5 AP scores does NOT secure admission. Several schools do not even consider the AP score for admission.

You can pass the AP calc BC exam (supposedly calculus 2) with a 5 by getting approx 60%. To add, calculus BC is about 60-70% calculus 1 material.

A lot of people get 5's on these exams. You can check collegeboard ap central for the statistics.

Klungo said:
Several schools do not even consider the AP score for admission.
Almost no school does in fact. They don't even ask for your AP scores when applying for admissions. They only ask for it if you get in and want to skip out of the respective intro courses later on in the summer (which is when you get your final AP scores).

which AP courses to take?

I have decided to give AP tests next year. I plan on going to US for college . I am planning to do a BS in math/physics . So i am going to give the following tests
1. Physics B
2. Physics C
3. Calculus AB
4. Calculus BC
5. Chemistry

Are there any other tests i should take ?

narayan.rocks said:
I have decided to give AP tests next year. I plan on going to US for college . I am planning to do a BS in math/physics . So i am going to give the following tests
1. Physics B
2. Physics C
3. Calculus AB
4. Calculus BC
5. Chemistry

I don't think you need to take both Physics B and Physics C, especially in the same year. Physics B = algebra-based Physics, while Physics C = calculus-based Physics.

As eumyang said.

To add,

You're better of taking Calculus BC, Chemistry and Physics C. That way, you avoid redundancy.

This is my observation, and some may or may not agree, but AP courses appear to be poor in terms of quality compared to the "equivalent" courses at most universities. Some universities have honors versions of these courses.

If you plan to use the credits from these exams, provided you do take and pass them, I recommend you try to learn more outside of class.

narayan.rocks said:
1. Physics B
2. Physics C
3. Calculus AB
4. Calculus BC
5. Chemistry

AB and BC are offered at the same exact time. Also, Chem and Physics-C are meant to be second-year courses in the topic. AP Comp Sci looks nice to have.

If you're not in the US, don't feel obliged to take AP. Most major colleges accept equivalent A-levels and IB scores (which in my opinion are better than AP). I know that international admissions are very selective at top colleges, so a 2300+ SAT or 35 ACT would be better worth your time than learning a breadth of AP sciences. But again, just my opinion.

What are AP exams?

AP exams, short for Advanced Placement exams, are standardized tests administered by the College Board to high school students in the United States. These exams cover a wide range of subjects and are designed to assess a student's understanding of college-level material.

What subjects are covered on AP exams?

AP exams cover a variety of subjects, including math, science, history, English, and world languages. As of 2021, there are 38 different AP exams available, with more being added each year.

What is the purpose of taking AP exams?

The main purpose of taking AP exams is to earn college credit and/or advanced placement in college. Depending on the score a student receives on the exam, they may be able to skip introductory college courses and move directly into higher-level courses.

How are AP exams scored?

AP exams are scored on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest score. Most colleges and universities consider a score of 3 or higher to be a passing score, and some may even offer credit for scores of 4 or 5.

When are AP exams offered and how do I sign up?

AP exams are offered once a year in May. Students can sign up for exams through their high school's AP coordinator. The deadline to register for exams is usually in the spring, but it is important to check with your school for specific dates and deadlines.