Taking Multivariable calc after AP calc AB

In summary, the individual is a freshman in college with an intention to major in astrophysics. They received an A in AP Calculus AB and expect good results on the AP test. They recently took their school's math placement test and were placed into multivariable calculus, despite expecting to place into calculus 2. The individual is unsure if they are prepared for multivariable calculus without taking Calc BC or college calc 2, and is seeking advice. Some suggest starting with Calc 2, while others believe the placement test accurately reflects readiness for multivariable calculus. It is recommended to consult with a math department representative to determine if the individual is well-prepared for Calc 3 or if they should consider redoing Calc 1
GiantSheeps
I am going to be a freshman in college and I intend to major in astrophysics. This past year I took AP calculus AB, and I got an A and I believe I did well on the AP test (results haven't come back yet though). This morning I took my school's math placement test, and I was placed into multivariable calculus (Math 221). I had expected to place into calculus 2 (Math 122). Do you think I am prepared for multivariable calculus without having first taken calc BC (or college calc 2)? Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re do Calculus 1 at university. I have noticed that students who have taken AP calculus do not know nothing of substance in calculus.

Likes symbolipoint and Tone L
I have to disagree with @MidgetDwarf. The placement test is presumably written by professors who know what's taught in the calculus sequence and so it should be accurate. To fill in whatever gaps you might have, try getting ahold of a calc II syllabus and learning the topics you don't already know.

If you're feeling particularly nervous, maybe start off in calc II. But I don't see any reason to take a class you already know the contents of.

Likes symbolipoint
I would start with Calc 2 personally. Taking AP calculus AB only in no way makes you ready for multivariable. You will be in over your head. I took AP calc AB/BC and then skipped right into multivariable calculus my first semester in college. It is one of those decisions looking back that I wonder if I should have done differently. I didn't really appreciate all multivariable had to offer when I took it because I think I took it a little prematurely. Granted I turned out fine in the end. It's still something I consider from my undergrad days.

Likes MidgetDwarf and symbolipoint
I'd talk with someone in your math department who knows more about the details of their placement test and process.

From an overall review of your math records and placement results they can tell you if you are barely ready for their Calc 3 or very well prepared.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint and Infrared

1. What is the difference between AP Calc AB and Multivariable Calc?

AP Calc AB is a single-variable calculus course that covers topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Multivariable Calc, also known as Calculus III, expands on these concepts and introduces the study of functions with multiple variables, such as 3-dimensional space.

2. Do I need to take AP Calc AB before Multivariable Calc?

While it is recommended to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus before taking Multivariable Calc, it is not required. Some students may be able to successfully take Multivariable Calc without first taking AP Calc AB, but it may be more challenging.

3. How does Multivariable Calc relate to real-world applications?

Multivariable Calc is applicable to many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, which can represent real-world quantities such as position, velocity, acceleration, and economic factors.

4. Is Multivariable Calc harder than AP Calc AB?

This may vary from student to student, but in general, Multivariable Calc is considered to be more challenging than AP Calc AB. It introduces new concepts and requires a higher level of abstract thinking and spatial reasoning.

5. What are some tips for success in Multivariable Calc?

Some tips for success in Multivariable Calc include having a strong foundation in single-variable calculus, practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed, and staying organized with notes and assignments. It is also important to have a good understanding of spatial visualization and be comfortable with working in 3-dimensional space.