by Bachelier
Tags: complex, field
Share this thread:
Bachelier
Feb4-13, 12:14 AM
P: 376
This is elementary but surely this set is closed

| c – i | ≥ | c | with c being in ℂ

I am trying to picture the set. Is it outside the disc centered at (0,1) with radius equal to modulus c (whatever that is) ?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
pwsnafu
Feb4-13, 01:22 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 838
Hint: find the boundary first.
joeblow
Feb4-13, 07:26 AM
P: 71
Visualize the complex number as a point in the plane. Move it down one unit. (That's what subtracting i does.) Now, what points will be further from the origin when this happens? You can construct a right triangle of legs Re(c) and Im(c) and a right triangle of legs Re(c-i) and Im(c-i) and see which hypotenuse is longer.

Once you have figured out the region in question, it should be easy to show its closure.

HallsofIvy
Feb4-13, 07:43 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
A Closed set in the Complex Field

Quote Quote by Bachelier View Post
This is elementary but surely this set is closed

| c – i | ≥ | c | with c being in ℂ

I am trying to picture the set. Is it outside the disc centered at (0,1) with radius equal to modulus c (whatever that is) ?

Thanks
|c- i| is the distance from point c to i. |c| is the distance from c to 0. Saying that |c- i|= |c| (as pwsnafu suggested "find the boundary first") is the same as saying that those two distance are equal for all c. Geometrically, that is the perpendicular bisector of the segment from 0 to i, Im(c)= 1/2 or c= x+ (1/2)i for any real x. The set [itex]|c- i|\ge |c|[/itex] is set of points on ther side of that line closer to 0 than to i.

Corrected thanks to oay.
skiller
Feb4-13, 08:37 AM
P: 235
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Geometrically, that is the perpendicular bisector of the segment from 0 to i, Im(c)= 1/2 or c= (x/2)i for any real x.
Not quite.

You mean: c = x + (1/2)i for any real x.
HallsofIvy
Feb4-13, 02:30 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Right, thanks. And thanks for trailing along behind me cleaning up my mess!

Register to reply