Set of points on the complex plane

In summary, the set of points determined by the given conditions are as follows: a.) A circle with center at (-1,1) and radius 1. b.) A circle with center at (0,1) and radius 3, including its interior. c.) The area outside of the circle with radius 4 and center at (0,-4).
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everybody, I am wanting to check the solution to this question:

Sketch the set of points determined by the given conditions:
a.) $\left| z-1+i \right|=1$
b.)$\left| z+i \right|\le3$
c.)$\left| z-4i \right|\ge4$

work:
I know (a.) is a circle with radius 1 and its center at (-1,1) on the complex plane see in figure 1.
I know (b.) is a circle with radius 3 and its center at (0,1) on the complex plane see in figure 2.
I know (c.) is a circle (?) with radius 4 with its center (0,-4) on the complex plane see in figure 3.

Thanks
Cbarker1

Attachments

• Problem 5a for Complex Analysis.png
    Problem 5a for Complex Analysis.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Problem 5b for Complex Analysis.png
    Problem 5b for Complex Analysis.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Problem 5c for Complex Analysis.png
    Problem 5c for Complex Analysis.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 54
Physics news on Phys.org
Almost. But "=", "[tex]\le[/tex]", and "[tex]\ge[/tex]" are not the same! In general, |z- a| is the distance from complex number z to complex number a. Yes, the set of points, z, in the complex plane, such that |z- 1+ i|= |z- (1- i)|= 1 is the circle with center at 1- i, (1, -1), and radius 1. Similarly, |z+ i|= 3 is the circle with center at i, (0, 1), and radius 3. But your problem has [tex]\le[/tex] rather than =. In addition to the circle where the distance is equal to 3, this set contains also the interior of the circle, the "disk" with center at i and radius 3.

Likewise, (c) is the circle with center 4i, (0, 4), and all points outside that circle.

Hello Cbarker1,

Your solutions for (a.) and (b.) are correct. However, for (c.), the set of points determined by the condition $\left| z-4i \right|\ge4$ is not a circle, but rather the area outside of the circle with radius 4 and center at (0,-4). This is because the inequality $\left| z-4i \right|\ge4$ means that the distance between the point z and the point (0,-4) is greater than or equal to 4. Therefore, any point that falls outside of the circle with radius 4 and center at (0,-4) satisfies this condition.

I hope this helps clarify your solution for (c.). Keep up the good work!

1. What is a complex plane?

The complex plane is a graphical representation of the complex numbers, which are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part. It is a 2-dimensional plane with the horizontal axis representing the real part and the vertical axis representing the imaginary part.

2. What are the coordinates of a point on the complex plane?

The coordinates of a point on the complex plane are given by a complex number in the form of (a + bi), where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. For example, the point (3 + 2i) would have coordinates of (3, 2) on the complex plane.

3. How is the distance between two points on the complex plane calculated?

The distance between two points on the complex plane is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. Since the complex plane is a 2-dimensional plane, the distance formula is the same as the distance formula in a Cartesian plane, where d represents the distance between two points with coordinates (x1, y1) and (x2, y2):

d = √((x2-x1)² + (y2-y1)²)

4. What is the geometric interpretation of multiplication on the complex plane?

Multiplication on the complex plane can be interpreted geometrically as a combination of scaling and rotation. When multiplying two complex numbers, the magnitude of the product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the individual complex numbers, and the angle formed by the product is equal to the sum of the angles formed by the individual complex numbers.

5. How is the complex conjugate of a point on the complex plane calculated?

The complex conjugate of a point on the complex plane is obtained by changing the sign of the imaginary part of the complex number. In other words, the complex conjugate of a point (a + bi) is (a - bi). Geometrically, the complex conjugate is reflected over the real axis on the complex plane.