Instant vaporization of water

by GTeclips
Tags: instant, vaporization, water
GTeclips
Feb4-13, 03:54 PM
P: 23
Hello,

I recall watching a show that discussed several personal flying devise the military had invented over the years. One of them was the Hiller's flying platform, but there was another that they mentioned. It was a jet pack of sorts (I can't recall it's name) and it used steam. I don't know if I remember how it worked, but if I am right, it would combine water and some other substance and the water would instantly vaporize.

I'm not as much interested in a reference as to what the jet pack was called or if I misunderstood how it worked (Although I probably did). I wish to know if there is some liquid that can be combined with water to vaporize it without reaching it's boiling point?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
MRI sensor that enables long-term monitoring of oxygen levels could aid cancer diagnosis, treatment
The anti-inflammatory factory
Borek
Feb6-13, 07:01 AM
Admin
P: 22,704
You can lower the boiling point by adding other low boiling liquid (like ethanol for example), but it won't vaporize the water. For that you need a lot of energy, regardless of the temperature.
ajkoer
Mar13-13, 08:30 AM
P: 34
I suspect it was concentrated H2O2. A catalyst triggered decomposition of Hydrogen peroxide can be very violent (even explosive if confined). The products are H2O (steam if hot enough) and O2, basically non-toxic.

Register to reply