Share this thread:
mathman44
Feb4-13, 06:15 PM
P: 210
Hi all,

I'm reading the following PDF about the DFT:

http://www.analog.com/static/importe...p_book_Ch8.pdf

Please see pages 152-153.

So the inverse DFT (frequency to space, x[i] = ...) is given on page 152. Then it is claimed that the amplitudes for the space-domain synthesis (inverse DFT) are different than the frequency domain of a signal (page 153).

In short, the amplitude for the space-domain synthesis is the corresponding frequency domain multiplied by 2/N, except for the zero frequency term and the last frequency term, which are multiplied by 1/N.

A short digression on 'spectral densities' are made, and I really don't see the connection. Why are the different frequency components weighted differently in the space-domain synthesis?

Any help would be great.
Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
jbunniii
Feb4-13, 07:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,166
If we define
$$X(k) = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} x(n) e^{-i2\pi k n/N}$$
for ##k=0, 1, \ldots, N-1##, and we want to recover ##x(n)## from ##X(k)##, then
$$x(n) = \frac{1}{N} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} X(k) e^{i2\pi k n/N}$$
Here the ##X(k)## are complex-valued. We can obtain an equivalent expression in terms of the real and imaginary parts of ##X(k)## by writing ##X(k) = R(k) + iI(k)## and simplifying:
$$x(n) = \frac{1}{N} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} R(k) e^{i2\pi k n/N} + i \frac{1}{N} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} I(k) e^{i2\pi k n/N}$$
where ##R(k)## and ##I(k)## are real-valued.

Now suppose the original data ##x(n)## is real-valued. Then notice that if we take the complex conjugate of the first equation above, we get
$$X^*(k) = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} x(n) e^{i2\pi k n/N}$$
Now replace ##k## by ##N-k##:
$$X^*(N-k) = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} x(n) e^{i2\pi (N-k) n/N} = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} x(n) e^{-i2\pi k n/N} = X(k)$$
So we have established that ##X^*(N-k) = X(k)##. Now take the real and imaginary parts of this equation. We see that ##R(N-k) = R(k)## and ##-I(N-k) = I(k)##. This allows us to rewrite the two sums involving ##R(k)## and ##I(k)##. I will show how this works for ##R(k)##. You can do something similar for ##I(k)##.
$$\begin{align}
\sum_{k=0}^{N-1} R(k) e^{i2\pi k n/N} &= R(0) + \sum_{k=1}^{N/2 - 1} R(k) e^{i2\pi k n/N} + R(N/2) e^{i\pi n} + \sum_{k=N/2+1}^{N-1} R(k) e^{i2\pi k n/N}\\
&= R(0) + \sum_{k=1}^{N/2 - 1} R(k) e^{i2\pi k n/N} + R(N/2) \cos(\pi n) + \sum_{k=N/2+1}^{N-1}R(N-k)e^{i2\pi kn/N} \\
&= R(0) + \sum_{k=1}^{N/2 - 1} R(k) e^{i2\pi k n/N} + R(N/2) \cos(\pi n) + \sum_{m=1}^{N/2-1} R(m) e^{-i 2\pi mn/N} \\
&= R(0) + \sum_{k=1}^{N/2 - 1} R(k) (e^{i2\pi k n/N} + e^{-i2\pi k n/N}) + R(N/2)\cos(\pi n) \\
&= R(0) + 2 \sum_{k=1}^{N/2 - 1} R(k)\cos(2\pi k n/N) + R(N/2) \cos(\pi n)
\end{align}$$
This shows why there is a factor of 2 on all of the terms from ##k=1, 2, \ldots N/2-1## but not on the ##k=0## and ##k=N/2## terms.

I have used the following facts above: for the ##k=0## term,
$$e^{i2\pi k n/N} = e^{i2\pi 0 n/N} = e^{0} = 1$$
For the ##k=N/2## term:
$$e^{i2\pi k n/N} = e^{i2\pi (N/2) n/N} = e^{i \pi n} = \cos(\pi n) + i\sin(\pi n) = \cos(\pi n) + 0 = \cos(\pi n)$$
The RHS of this last equation also equals ##(-1)^n## but there was no need to use that fact here.
mathman44
Feb4-13, 08:12 PM
P: 210
Whoa... thanks, that's absolutely perfect.

Register to reply