Fourier transform, same frequencies, different amplitudes

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fourier transform and its use in changing the domain from time/space to frequency domain. The Fourier transform results are shown as a list of frequencies and their amplitude, and the question is raised about the effect of different amplitudes for similar frequencies in the final result. The response clarifies that for discrete Fourier transforms, similar frequencies are considered to be in the same bin and yes, the amplitudes are summed up in the final result. The response also explains that for continuous Fourier transforms, similar frequencies must be exact for this to occur.
Behrouz
I understand that the Fourier transform is changing the domain (time/space) to frequency domain and provides the sin waves. I have seen the visualizations of Fourier transform and they are all showing the transform results as the list of frequencies and their amplitude. My question is, what if the result has same sin waves with similar frequencies, but different amplitudes; are they going to be summed up (added/subtracted) in the final result?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not really clear to me what your question is. Do you mean to ask what is the difference between two functions whose FTs differ by some constant or how different amplitudes in the same FT affect the result?

Orodruin said:
It is not really clear to me what your question is. Do you mean to ask what is the difference between two functions whose FTs differ by some constant or how different amplitudes in the same FT affect the result?
Thanks.
I mean the effect of different amplitudes (for similar frequencies) in the same FT.

Behrouz said:
Thanks.
I mean the effect of different amplitudes (for similar frequencies) in the same FT.
Sorry, but this is still not clear. If you have sine waves of different frequencies, each will lead to a peak at the corresponding frequency, the height of that peak will correspond to the amplitude of the sine wave, but the fact that frequencies are similar or not plays no role here.

Or are you talking about discrete Fourier transforms?

Two FTs with identical frequencies, but different amplitudes are associated with different signals in the time domain. If two time-domain signals are combined, their FTs can be added, frequency by frequency, to get the FT of the combined time-domain signal. That is because the FT is a linear operator.

Last edited:
Likes Behrouz
Behrouz said:
what if the result has same sin waves with similar frequencies, but different amplitudes; are they going to be summed up (added/subtracted) in the final result?

My short answer is yes.

My longer answer is that for a discrete FT similar means close enough to be in the same bin. For continuous FT, similar means exact.

Thank you all.
No, it wasn't specifically for DFT.
I believe @FactChecker 's answer is what I was looking for in this case.
Thanks again.

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function.

2. How does a Fourier transform handle signals with same frequencies but different amplitudes?

A Fourier transform treats each frequency component independently, regardless of its amplitude. This means that signals with the same frequencies but different amplitudes will have distinct frequency components in their Fourier transforms.

3. Can a Fourier transform be applied to non-periodic signals?

Yes, a Fourier transform can be applied to both periodic and non-periodic signals. However, the interpretation and analysis of the frequency components may differ for non-periodic signals.

4. What is the relationship between a signal and its Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform of a signal represents the frequency content of that signal. It tells us which frequencies are present in the signal and their respective amplitudes and phases.

5. How is a Fourier transform used in real-world applications?

Fourier transforms have a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and audio compression, data analysis, and physics. They are used to analyze and manipulate signals in order to extract useful information and insights.