String theory experiments

by PhysicsDad
Tags: experiments, string, theory
PhysicsDad
Feb3-13, 05:28 PM
P: 20
I have been following Dr. Michio Kaku and his ideas on string theory. My question is, with the addition of other dimensions, what types of experiments and/or results could possibly provide evidence that this theory is correct. If we currently can't perceive these "discrete" dimensions, what would it take to infer their existence? Any thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
tom.stoer
Feb3-13, 06:45 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,307
Typically a force (like electromagnetism) mediated by massless particles (like photons) scales as ~ 1/r^(D-1) for distance r and number of spatial dimensions D. So for very high energy the additional dimensions d (with D = 3+d) should become visible in scattering processes and one should expect 1/r^(2+d) instead of 1/r^2.
PhysicsDad
Feb4-13, 08:30 PM
P: 20
Thank you, that explanation was actually quite a bit simpler than what I was expecting, but it makes sence.

Register to reply