Why so many entries in revision history at ncbi?

In summary, the user is using ncbi and accessing the nucleotide database. When looking at the revision history of a result, they noticed that all sequences have the same version number, even though they have different update dates. They are curious about why this is and if the revisions could be updates on the annotations rather than the sequences themselves. They are also asking for clarification on how to access the revision history.
hivesaeed4
Okay so I'm using ncbi and when using the nucleotide database, when I access the revision history of a result of any query, I get a lot of sequences. Surprisingly they all are of the same version. Why? If each is different shouldn't they have different version numbers? They all have different update dates yet all are the same thing (same version). Can someone explain them to me?

Attached is a screenshot explaining what I mean.

Attachments

• ncbi trouble.jpg
    ncbi trouble.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 514
Biology news on Phys.org
How do you get to the revision history? I've never seen that. And couldn't the revisions be updates on the annotation and not on the sequence itself?

Accessing revision history is simple. After accessing an entry, you go to the top left side of the page and in display settings you select revision history and press ok.

And maybe you're right with regards to revisions being updates on the annotations. It does make sense. But I need to know definitely (no offence).

1. Why does NCBI have so many entries in its revision history?

NCBI, or the National Center for Biotechnology Information, is a government-funded organization that provides access to a wide range of biological and genetic information. As such, it constantly updates and revises its database with new information and research findings, resulting in a large number of entries in its revision history.

2. How often does NCBI update its revision history?

NCBI updates its revision history on a regular basis, typically daily or weekly. However, the frequency of updates may vary depending on the amount of new information and research findings that are submitted to the database.

3. Can I access previous versions of entries in NCBI's revision history?

Yes, NCBI allows users to access previous versions of entries in its revision history. This is important for researchers and scientists who may need to reference older versions of data for their studies.

4. Are there any limitations to accessing NCBI's revision history?

While NCBI strives to provide a comprehensive and up-to-date database, there may be limitations to accessing its revision history. This can include certain entries being restricted due to copyright or privacy concerns, or outdated information being removed from the database.

5. How does NCBI ensure the accuracy of its revision history?

NCBI has a team of experts who review and curate the information in its database to ensure its accuracy and validity. Additionally, the database relies on the contributions of the scientific community, who are responsible for submitting the latest research findings and data to NCBI.