National companies hiring recent college graduates?

• Thread starter d3nat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, a friend of mine suggests Raytheon as a company to look into, and internships at defense contractors are also a good option. Companies like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, and Northrop Grumman are also good options. There are also public sector jobs available like the Department of Energy or the various National Labs. Finally, optics companies like this one and BAE Systems are also good options.
d3nat
I'm looking for some big companies (big as in not regionally specific in the US) who are currently hiring (soon to be) college graduates.

A friend of mine suggested Raytheon since he got a job with them last year after graduating. Any further suggestions/companies similar to this?

I'll be graduating with a physics degree, but I also have good programming skills.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're a US citizen, try defense contractors like Raytheon and others: Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman. I know the latter actually does fundamental research (ie: things like building the James Webb telescope). Look into internships and what not, these companies hire recent physics graduates or so I am told.

Another don't forget the public sector like the Dept. of Energy or the various National Labs.

Also try optics companies like this one, which specifically states they want physicists:
http://www.ofsoptics.com/careers/view_career.php?txtID=1&txtJobID=156 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any big companies not hiring collage graduates? That would surprise me.

Lavabug said:
If you're a US citizen, try defense contractors like Raytheon and others: Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman. I know the latter actually does fundamental research (ie: things like building the James Webb telescope). Look into internships and what not, these companies hire recent physics graduates or so I am told.

Another don't forget the public sector like the Dept. of Energy or the various National Labs.

Also try optics companies like this one, which specifically states they want physicists:
http://www.ofsoptics.com/careers/view_career.php?txtID=1&txtJobID=156 [Broken]

Yes, I am a US citizen. Thank you for the company suggestions!

This may be a silly question, but will government departments/labs higher someone with only a bachelors?

Last edited by a moderator:
mfb said:
Are there any big companies not hiring collage graduates? That would surprise me.

I don't know. Hence the question... I'm not familiar with many big companies, and I don't live in a region where physics and physics companies are exactly popular. Basically, I'm just asking for some company suggestions so I know where to look.

I want to eventually go to graduate school, but I think I may work a few years first to save some money since undergraduate left me absolutely broke.

The Dept. of Energy has summer intern programs for graduating physics seniors in a variety of fields(solar energy, nuclear/accelerators...), but unfortunately the deadline for application has already passed. I have seen intern positions advertised that start at different periods throughout the year though, so you might want to comb through their pages to see if you can find something.

Something I have been suggested which I will try if I don't go to grad school this year is hospitals/clinics, as a medical physics technician(ie: working under a proper medical physicist). Apparently smaller hospitals are more willing to hire people with just a bachelors for these positions.

Another big name contractor that comes to mind: BAE Systems.

And in case you haven't seen this page yet, AIP's "Who's Hiring Physics Bachelors", by state:
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/states/state.html#

Last edited:
Government labs that hire physics Bachelors include Brookhaven National Lab, the Naval Research Laboratory, and the Stanford Linear Accelerator. I base this off a glance at the alumni page from my own department.

1. How can I find out which national companies are currently hiring recent college graduates?

One way to find out which national companies are hiring recent college graduates is to search for job postings on popular job search websites, such as Indeed or LinkedIn. You can also visit the career pages of specific companies that you are interested in to see if they have any open positions for recent graduates.

2. What qualifications do national companies look for when hiring recent college graduates?

National companies typically look for recent college graduates who have a strong academic record, relevant internships or work experience, and a strong set of transferable skills. They may also look for candidates who have demonstrated leadership potential and a good fit with the company culture.

3. Are there any specific industries or fields that national companies tend to hire recent college graduates for?

National companies hire recent college graduates in a wide range of industries and fields, including finance, technology, healthcare, marketing, and more. However, some industries may have a higher demand for entry-level positions, so it is important to research the specific companies and industries you are interested in.

4. What can I expect during the application and hiring process for national companies?

The application and hiring process for national companies may vary, but it typically involves submitting a resume and cover letter, completing online assessments, and participating in one or more rounds of interviews. The company may also conduct background checks and contact references before making a job offer.

5. Are there any tips for standing out as a recent college graduate in the job market?

To stand out as a recent college graduate, it is important to have a strong resume and cover letter that highlight your relevant skills and experiences. You can also network with professionals in your desired industry and attend job fairs to make connections and learn about potential job opportunities. Additionally, gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time jobs can make you a more competitive candidate for national companies.